Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:41 PM   #1

Hi there!!

I've just bought my 1st. digital camera ever-the Canon S2 & I love it. The problem is though that the batteries are running out very fast-like in 45 min. Now is this normal or did I choose bad batteries/charger (it was really cheap on amazon.) I bought the DigiPower Solutions PS-5000 Charger with four 2400 mAh 1.2 volts batteries. The charger charges 4 batteries in like 40-45 minutes instead of an hour. Really dissapointing actually. It doesn't seem like it's charging the batteries to full capacity. Does anyone have any experiences with the Canon S2 and some other batteries & charger that they recommend? I've read on the web that sometimes NiMH batteries will take a couple of times to come up to their full capacity when they are new... I've already charged them three times without hardly gotten started to learn the camera. Is this the way it's supposed to be-confused? Help!!!

Niklas
niklasinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2

Hi,

I have the same problem, I just bought mine from Germany and I bought not really cheap battery around 24 Euro which lasted onley 45 min or even less, plus I have something stuck in the EVF and to make me happy a dead pixel.

I can't return it back to Germany as I am in business trip around Europe and canon europe is asking me to send it over to London for to be fixed. To be honest I don't want any body to open the case, it is made in Japan and I don't trust the repair shop.

THanks
husseinmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:09 PM   #3

Hi, I also have the same problem but only from time to time. Irecharge the batteries and they work just fine and the next time they crump out. What I determined is that one of the batteries out of the four has gone dead. These batteries work fine in our other cameras but they are not brand new--but well within their life expectancy. As an experiment, I suggest thet you try using four alcaline battieries rather than rechargeable battieries. My bet is that your battery life will be just fine. I also suggest that you test all four of the rechargeable batteries after they crump out and keep track of the battery that goes bad. If you do not have a battery tester substitueeach battery ina flashlight with a fresh alcaline battery. It will not be too hard to tell which is the bad battery. I currently have a brand new set of batteries in the camera and it has lasted a very very long time so I am beginning to think that any marginal batteries will crump out. It may be that the S2 has a higher draw than other cameras. I have not yet talked to my electrical engineer friend to see if my hypothisis about weak batteries is plausible, but will let you know. I have to admit it is very frustrating, but other than the three of us I have not read any reviews of the problem. My conclusiion is that it is the batteries and not the camera but the camera for some reason is very demanding on the batteries.
hjg0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:46 AM   #4

Just too drift away from the subject a bit , I wonder what Canon are thinking of. reverting back too AA`s and fitting a standard mains power socket. I am using a UNIROSS variable voltage supply set too 7.5 volts for all my indoor shots, macro etc. The only thing they did not specify was the polarity of the plug. As all the -v are common too the supply the last battery in the group has the negative down, so its an easy check too put an ohm meter from this to either the pin or body of the socket. So no battery power waste when at home
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

Forgot too mention, the pin is +. Canon say a 2 amp supply, but I suppose they like too work in integers. Mine is the stanaard 1250ma
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:34 AM   #6

gidday

best to buy at least 10 2500mah nimh (energiser) and charger that shows individual charge on batts-this will show if a batt is dead

i have'nt had any energiser batts die on me yet -but many no-names have

you should get many hrs on a good set of nimh's
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:45 PM   #7

When I bought the S2, I bought a set of 12 cheap Tenergy 2300 MAh batteries, and a charger for about $40. I marked each set of four batteries in a unique manner with a Sharpie marker, and have been error free since day one. If I wear out a set of batteries, all four get charged at once. If time passes without charging the batteries, I charge each marked group by itself. So far, no problems at all.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:32 AM   #8

If you are learning, and you wish too peruse the monitor it is better too purchase a 7.5 volt mains adaptor. I did, now I just sit in my armchair with it switched on. and open book.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:01 PM   #9

S2 batterys life is VERY good. You must have bad batteries. Try a set of regular Duracell batteris then you will know for sure.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote