Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:10 PM   #11

koconn08 wrote:
Quote:
The second 6 weeks I will be in asia
My daughter spent 4 or 5 weeks This summer 'backpacking' (i.,e staying in the cheapest places they could find) in SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, China, Tibet), and managed to produce avast numberof images from her 2xAA Ni-MH-powered camera.

So she must have recharged sometimes, or bought throwawayAAs.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:42 PM   #12

ever wonder why up to now manufacturers do not produce Lithium-Ion AA, AAA, C or D ?

1st correct answer wins a trip to Mars

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:19 PM   #13

juandelacruz wrote:
Quote:
ever wonder why up to now manufacturers do not produce Lithium-Ion AA, AAA, C or D ?

One answer to this quesiton I read was they would be easy to mistake for NiMH and would cause safety issues. The article suggested they would explode if charged in NiMH chargers. I think this issue could be worked around if it was a real issue.

I think the real answer is they would be very expensive to develop as the voltage for an AA is 1.5V would be difficult to produce from Lithium-Ion. Also packaging would be difficult as an internal controller would have to fit in the AA format.
jdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:40 PM   #14

I'm jumping on the AA bandwagon too. There's nothing worse than being caught out somewhere looking for batteries. Especially if you need a proprietary battery. If I run all my NiMH batteries down, even a gas stations carries AA's. Or I can pull them out of my flash.

It's silly to claim all AA (format)powered cameras are cheap or non-performers. That's the voice of inexperience.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:10 AM   #15

jdonalds wrote:
Quote:
juandelacruz wrote:
Quote:

One answer to this quesiton I read was they would be easy to mistake for NiMH and would cause safety issues. The article suggested they would explode if charged in NiMH chargers. I think this issue could be worked around if it was a real issue.

I think the real answer is they would be very expensive to develop as the voltage for an AA is 1.5V would be difficult to produce from Lithium-Ion. Also packaging would be difficult as an internal controller would have to fit in the AA format.
You are right. Lithium ion is basically a sandwich, not the cylindrical form as the normal battery, it is also flexible that you can bend it or form it in any shape you want this means that you can also roll it to make an AA battery, but because of its chemistry, a singel cell will generate about 3volts, not possible to replace 1.2 or 1.5 volts.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:07 PM   #16

There is a Li-Ion solution in the form of a rechargable CR-3V. Physically, this looks a bit like two AAs side-by-side so that the single cell voltage of 3.7V is not a problem. The battery compartment needs to be designed to accept them though.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...argeable+cr-3v

There are some AA-sized Li-Ion cells but you have to look hard for them. For example, this one:
http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/pic/GP1450L70_DS.pdf
They are probably not common because of the potential disasters waiting to befall users stuffing them in equipment expecting 1.5V.

If you don't need rechargables then you could try Lithium Iron Disulphides. These are sold by Energizer under the e2 Lithium brand. They hold 3000mAh, are very light, have a very long shelf life and extended temperature range. The perfect battery but for the price!
http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium/default.aspx
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:10 PM   #17

I FOUND A GREAT SITE THAT HAS A WIDE RANGE OF BATTERIES, RECHARGABLE BATTERIES,CHARGERS, CHARGING DOCKS, AND POWER ADAPTERS. THEY SEEM TO HAVE SOME REALLY GOOD, COMPETITIVE PRICES. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT.

WWW.ACCESSORYGENIE.COM:-)
orentamir is offline   Reply With Quote