Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:31 PM   #11

Radio Shack hasa decent battery tester for about $15. Part number 22-080. Multi-range testers like this put different loads on a battery depending on size/capacity. There's a different setting for AAA batteries compared to all the larger (AA, C, D) for example.

I use mine all the time to check all the assorted batteries my kids leave laying about the house. Usually they're spent but sometimes I pick up good ones.
guy48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:37 AM   #12

Hi Dan,

I searched the web and found the origin of the product that I am talking about. It is from HongKong, it is marketted here in Switzerland by Intertronics. This is a chain of store selling electronics stuff .

As a professional Electronics Engineer I also own many multimeters from a cheapo , no brand generic type tomy Fluke 105 scope meter but what interests me is that this gadget is even cheaper than the battery that is included inside. I openned one and inside are precision instruments. The Chip under the LCD display is generically the same as the chips in the normal voltmeters (made my Intersil).

Here is the link of the web page, the product is exactly the same as I have except the color. The yellow thing in the side slides up and down and it is really the positive connector for the battery. The Load switch is not visible ( on the other side)

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...1000319485.htm

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:21 AM   #13

Here is the store in Switzerland :

http://www.interdiscount.ch/webapp/w...3&langId=1
juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:14 PM   #14

Here is a really easy way to test the condition of a battery. The other posts were absolutely correct, in that a VOM will only tell you the static voltage. Even a near dead AA battery will read 1.5 V.DC. But put a small resistive load on it, and that will tell the tale. A worn battery or one that is in need of charging, the voltage will drop slightly when put under load, but should hold pretty steady at some point. A nead dead or defective battery may be fine with no load, but goes down to almost nothing under a small load. BTW, if you aren't into messing around with resistors and whatnot, just power a small incandescent bulb from the battery or batteries and measure the voltage with the light "ON." Good luck. I have had excellent luck using the Powerex batteries made by Maha. I have a few sets of 2300 MAh AA batteries that consistantly out perform other manufacturers "2500" MAh batteries. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in use to get some of those high numbers with some mfg.'s. :?
JPMc13 is offline   Reply With Quote