Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 18, 2005, 2:29 AM   #1

I've been told that first time Li-Ion battery is used, it should be run flat, so doens't get memory line from recharging when only part flat. Is this correct, and how can this be done? If no spare battery, could go flat in middle of job.
htims is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:18 AM   #2

Hello Htims,

That is NOT correct.

Li-Ion cells do not suffer from any memory effects. They like to be frequently topped off, rather than deep cycled.

You will get more cycles from your battery by topping it off daily (or weekly, depending on your use), than ruining the battery completely down every time.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:18 PM   #3

Please don't run the Li-Ion battery flat. Li-Ion batteries are a different breed of high performance batteries compared to the other rechargeable batteries we are used to seeing. Avoid discharging a Li-Ion battery below 2.7V. The cell will actually discharge to 2.5V but that is the ‘edge of the cliff.' If you drop below 2.5V and the cell is permanently damaged and the performance of the battery and other batteries hooked to the damaged cell will suffer. Used improperly the Li-Ion battery can be explosively dangerous. Use the Li-Ion batter to the safer level of 2.7V uses 95% of the battery and will recharge successfully.

I might add that you cannot use a standard charger to recharge a Li-Ion battery.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4

I was just wondering all this myself. Very timely answer.

another quick question - If I have a second battery that is charged, but doesn't ever get used (since I can recharge every night), will that harm the second battery? (Just sitting there charged)

I guess I could just switch batteries part way through the day and then recharge both.

But what about when I go a few weeks without using my camera at all - will the battery bleed down and cause damage?
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:18 PM   #5

To quote from:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Simple Guidelines
  • Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

[/*]
  • Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

[/*]
  • Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

[/*]
  • Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

[/*]
  • Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing date. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

[/*]
  • If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.[/*]
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:17 AM   #6

Hello Lesia,

As Altis has indicated, Li-Ion cells store better at a 40% charge rather than at a 100% charge.

I decided that I would keep my back up battery at about 50%. That gives me some emergency run time should my main battery run out, and is close to the optimum storage charge. I think it is a good compromise...

The self discharge rate for Li-Ion cells runs around 1% per month. I have a Li-Ion powered screwdriver that states if you store it full charged, in 18 months you will still have 80% of the capacity left. I think this is pretty accurate.

The Battery University information on batteries aging from the moment they are manufactured is true, but somewhat out of date. The problem with the early cells was the materials they used to seal them. The early cells had a tendency to "leak" past the seals and had a useful life of only about 3 years. Improvements in seal design has improved the longevity of these cells, but you should plan to replace you batteries every 5-7 years, even if you don't use them. I just replaced the battery in my computer after 4 years of use. It is kept at 100% full charge, but I was careful to limit the full discharge cycles.

Tom
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #7

Altis and Tom - thanks for all the info! I think I will get a second battery. We go on lots of trips as a family, and I'm afraid 1 battery won't last a whole day. And the Casio S500 doesn't take store-bought batteries (I could buy a battery from a store for my Nikon in an emergency)

Quick question - how do you tell what percentage the battery is at, for a camera battery? I know on a laptop, I can get that info.

thanks again

lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:06 AM   #8

Hello Lesia,

You can charge it up and if you normally get 150 shots, take it out when you reach 75.

I am afraid it comes down to a guess...

Tom
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:46 AM   #9

From a very long time ago when I ran a battery bay the optimum time to recharge a Li-Ion is at about 30%

No need for more accuracy than that
MeanGreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:12 PM   #10

I FOUND A GREAT SITE THAT I HAD JUST MADE A PURCHASE FROM, WICH HAS A WIDE RANGE OF, BATTERIES, RECHARGABLE BATTERIES,CHARGERS, AND POWER ADAPTERS. THEY SEEM TO HAVE SOME REALLY GOOD, COMPETITIVE PRICES. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT.

WWW.ACCESSORYGENIE.COM:|
orentamir is offline   Reply With Quote