Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 15, 2005, 7:28 AM   #1

I am having 4 Sanyo 2500MAh batteries and using Sanyo Charger. The sanyo charger is an slow charger so it takes 20 hrs to get charged fully. The problem I am facing is that the battery gets discharged very quickly. if i charge and keep it then it gets discharged in less than a week. What might be the problem?
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:24 PM   #2

Hello Archish,

It sounds like the batteries have gone bad... or the charger isn't working properly.

What is the battery voltage when they are fully charged?

What is the battery voltage two days later?

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
Hello Archish,

It sounds like the batteries have gone bad... or the charger isn't working properly.

What is the battery voltage when they are fully charged?

What is the battery voltage two days later?

Tom
I have charged the battery for 24 hours (4 Batteries) and now its showing 1.37 for 2 and 1.35 for two. Will let u know the discharged value by tomorrow.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:05 PM   #4

Hello Archish,

The problem is beginning to surface...

The batteries when fully charged should bearound 1.44 - 1.48 volts when pulled right off the charger. The will settle down to around 1.4 volts after a few hours, but right off the charger they should be higher.

Some possibilities come to mind:

1. It takes longer than 20 hours to fully charge your batteries.

2. The battery charger is not working properly.

3.The batteries are damaged and can not accept a full charge.

Keep us informed of your findings.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:40 PM   #5

Hi SilverFoxCPF, I have the same type of problem. I have the Energizer 2500MAh AA batteries. I left them in the charger to do the trickle charge for about 10 hours after they were done with the charge. The volts measured 1.36-1.34V. A day later, I put the same batteries back into the charger and when they were done I took them out shortly after they went into the trickle charge. The measured 1.46-1.48V. These batteries have had a history after 2 weeks on the shelf going down to .095V. I am using the new Maha C801D charger.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If a battery falls below 1.20v does that mean they are going bad? Or already bad?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can the batteries on the trickle charge for that long of a time discharge down to the 1.35V thatI was showing?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Should a good battery ever go below the 1.20V?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What would you consider to be a fast discharge rate in time and in Volts?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you for taking the time toreply to these questions.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dan
dekelsey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:12 PM   #6

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
Hello Archish,

The problem is beginning to surface...

The batteries when fully charged should bearound 1.44 - 1.48 volts when pulled right off the charger. The will settle down to around 1.4 volts after a few hours, but right off the charger they should be higher.

Some possibilities come to mind:

1. It takes longer than 20 hours to fully charge your batteries.

2. The battery charger is not working properly.

3.The batteries are damaged and can not accept a full charge.

Keep us informed of your findings.

Tom
These are new batteries which i purchased
If its bad then i will be losing some money.
Well it barely 12 hours since i kept the batteries out of the charger and its already discharged to 1.30 and 1.28.
Any other suggestions?
I think the battery is bad as its not holding the current
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:21 AM   #7

New NiMH batteries need to be cycled (charge/discharge) a few times before they will charge to full capacity. If your camera has a discharge function, use that to discharge them and recharge again. None of my new batteries would take a full charge until they were cycled around three times.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If the batteries don't show around 1.49 after coming off the charger, recycle them. If they don't show that by the fifth charge, take the batteries back. (or get a new charger)
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:05 PM   #8

But the batteries are not holding the charge. Dosent that mean that they are bad?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:16 PM   #9

NiMH batteries will self discharge over time. For my spares,about 4-5 weeks will leave me about 10-15 flash shots or about 30 no-flash. When I first got my batteries, they wouldn't give 30 shots straight off the charger. Now, a fully charged set will will last all week--200+ shots with a mix of flash/no-flash.

If you don't cycle the batteries, they won't take a full charge. I don't know what else to say.

Cycle them and then test them.

Forgot to mention: Buy a Kodak K6000 (or current similar model) to charge the batteries. These are cheap and will charge the batteries (4) in abouttwo hours. Then test the batteries. The problem could be your charger. BUT, cycle your batteries before testing!

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:30 PM   #10

Also;

It's been stated here before and in some reviews that the NiMH batteries loose 3-5% of their charge per day when idle. In my tests, it's just under 1%. Even so, idle batteries will loose their charge over time. They loose it faster if they aren't fully charged.