Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:29 AM   #1

This strange looking battery powers a Grundig emergency radio / flashlight.

The radio has a hand crank. 90 seconds of cranking charges the battery enough for the radio to play about 40 minutes, the flashlight 80 seconds.

The battery is made in China. There is no American equivalent.

When the replacement batteries I ordered came from the distributor, they were fully charged, enough to run the radio for 9 hours! I would like to be able to recharge the battery assembly, but I can't figure out how. The attached photo is life-size. I have only that tiny little wire to work with.

I have an array of conventional NiMh chargers but none with a recepticle to which this tiny wire will attach.

Please, ideas and creative suggestions are welcome. I'll try whatever you suggest.

Uncle Richard

Attached Images

Uncle Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:56 AM   #2
Baz

Hi Richard, I've seen that style of battery several times. It is commonly used in cordless phones. As you see it is a pack of 3 NiMH 1.2v cells = 3.6v @ 600mah.

I doubt that any conventional chargers you have will work, even if you can get them connected. The reason is that most chargers are designed to charge 1, 2, or 4 cells. Not 3 cells.

A similar pack I have is a 3 cell pack of NiCads. At a pinch, I have charged this from a variable current DC power supply I made. Use 2 fine wires inserted into the plug on that tiny wire, and clip them to the power supply. (Observe polarity) The standard charge rate in milliamps, is 1/10 of the mah rating for about 14 hours. (60ma for your pack)

Probably not much help for your conventional chargers. How about cranking that handle for much more than 90 seconds?

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:58 AM   #3
Administrator

Most of the Grundig radios with hand cranks can also use an optional AC adapter (all of the current models shown on their web site can).

When this AC adapter is used, it powers the radio and recharges the battery.

I'd check to see if there is an AC adapter input somewhere on the radio for this purpose.

Your manual may also mention the model needed, and Grundig (actually etón Corporation is the parent company) sells both the AC Adapters and battery packs for their radios directly if one of their dealers doesn't stock them (look under their Parts section). A third party AC adapter with the same specifications should also work.

Many of their models can also use 3 AA batteries instead of the battery pack (varies by model). If the model you have can, then you could use a more standard rechargeable NiMH solution.

They also have a support page where you can download manuals if needed, and the Help button on the page allows you to ask them questions. Just go to the support section of the site and you'll see it:

http://www.grundigradio.com/US/support/

If you're not in the U.S. (your location is not in your profile so I can't tell), go to the main site at http://www.grundigradio.com and select your location.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply, Baz. Nice photo.

As JimC suggested (next post) I ordered the A-C adaptor. Just $14 USD. I didn't realize italso chargedthe battery.

Yes, cranking for more than 90 seconds is an option, but frankly, 90 seconds istedious enough.

Uncle Richard
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:09 PM   #5

A very helpful post, JimC. Thanks. This is a great forum, and well designed.

Thanks also for reminding me to update my profile.

As you suggested, I ordered the AC adaptor. I didn't realize it also charged the battery. A much better solution than long-term cranking.

Uncle Richard

Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:45 PM   #6

The AC adaptor does ** NOT ** recharge the batteries.

I suppose there might be some way to connect the AC adaptor plug to the tiny connectorpins on the batteries.

Any ideas?

Uncle Richard

Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:01 AM   #7

Hello Uncle Richard,

According to this spec sheet...

http://www.etoncorp.com/US/resources...R200_specs.pdf

The AC adapter should charge the battery.

Perhaps there is something else wrong...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:56 PM   #8

Hi Richard,

I've checked the specs on the 3 models (FR200, FR250 & FR300) of handcrank emergency radios listed on the Elon/Grundig site and all three models say they also have the provision to use 3 AA batteries in addition or instead of the propritary cellphone battery. Perhaps if your model (what is it?) has that provision, you could just get rechargeable AA NiMH cells and an external charger and go that rouute instead of trying to recharge the 3-pack battery.

If you don't have the 3 AA cell option on your model, you could watch the ads for places like Fry's or Officemax for their 2.4 Ghz wireless phones. The three that I've picked upover the last year($10, Free after rebate) have all used the same style of battery pack you showed us, and if the battery that comes with them will fit in your radio, use them. When the battery gets low just pop it back into the phone and charge it on the base unit. The only thing you may have to watch out for is that the pinout of the black and red wires go to the same pins on the polarized connector.

Hope one of these two possible solutions mets your needs.

Bud Anderson
bhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 3:46 PM   #9

Thanks for your attempts to help me. Tom and Bud et al.

You are quite right that the PDF documentation states clearly that the AC adaptor is supposed to recharge the rechargeable battery pack. (See attachment) Well, on my model FR200 it doesn't.

The user manual lists a local phone number in Redwood City, CA about 20 miles from where I live in Oakland. The tech verified that, indeed, the adaptor should recharge the battery pack. He asked me if the red light that glows when I crank the unit comes on when I plug in the adaptor. It doesn't, no matter how much I wiggle and play with it.

He says I have a defective AC adaptor, even though it powers the radio just fine.

I give up. I keep a dozen NiMH AA's and AAA's charged up at all times for use in all the gadgets they power. They'll do the job in an emergency. And there's always the hand crank to fall back on.

Uncle Richard

Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:16 AM   #10

As the 3 cells are in series = 3.6 volts , it is the easiest thing in the world too lash together a home made charger. a voltage out of 4 or 5 volts DC with a limiting resistor to limit the current too 300/10 equalling 30 ma. After all we had too do this when nicads first came on the market.. Your biggest prob is getting the matching plug for the battery It will take about 14 hours to charge the battery as this is only a trickle charge.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote