Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

I have a C-5060WZ and will be going on a trip out of the country so I am looking for a second battery to make sure can get by a for a day or two at time away from civilization. From the previous posts and weblinks it appears that the best route is the BLM-1 if you have a money tree in the backyard, or else a UNiROSS or Energizer OM-1. Can I get either of these in the US? When I googled these two other brands,most of the websites had a .uk extension.

Now I also checked on eBay as per Vlad's suggestion on another thread. Of course there were several cheapo BLM-1 compatible batteries. However, by searching for "olympus blm-1 genuine" I found a handful of sellers claiming to sell the genuine Olympus brand BLM-1s. They even show the box and sometimes claim that the boxes are factory sealed. Are these guys legit? How can their prices be so low for actual Olympus equipment?

The price is typically $US10-15 with $US10-15 for shipping.....(from Hong Kong in most cases).

Could these be knock-offs to look like original packaging and labeling? A cardboard package and label-sticker wouldn't betoodifficult to fake, especially considering Hong Kong's reputation for black market and knock-off merchandise...Some of the sellers have other name-brand replacement batteries that come in molded plastic packaging - this looks more legit and may make the Olympuspackaging look ok since why would a seller have knock-off Olympus stuff and real Sony batteries...and now I am just rambling with paranoia.

Any comments or experiences?

Thanks
Rural is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

Hi Rural,

I found your message and I had the same problem.

Also I checked Vlad suggested vendors and I found that they are selling fake Olympus batteries.

I also warned Vlad about this.

See here below:

"Genuine" Olympus BLM-1 battery from The-Battery eseller (same where Vlad bought a "genuine" battery):
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-OLYMPUS-BATTERY-BLM-1-C-5060-C-8080-E-1-E1_W0QQitemZ7564875699QQcategoryZ48520QQcmdZViewIt em

It seems that the battery in the picture is exactly what appear in this test page as Wintop PS-BLM1 and that is not made by Olympus:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

So, I think this seller is just sending from Honk Kong a fake Olympus.

Regards.
Alberto.
bluewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3

Some further reading on the subject:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=51

I guess there will always be two sides to this story...those who try the knock-offs and find them satisfactory, and those who try them, have them blow up in their face and ruin their camera and will never admit it.

There have been numerous posts to this forum regarding the pros and cons of proprietary batteries, the biggest con being the price and availability of replacement batteries. I find it rather amusing that people will spend hundreds of dollars on a camera that uses proprietary batteries, then buy some cheap, rip-off generic or counterfeit replacement battery and risk not only their expensive camera, but maybe their eyesight. Consider the cost of an OEM battery prior to purchasing a camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:22 AM   #4

same old hun post

"I find it amazing people spend hundreds of dollars and blah, blah, blah..."

We just not as perfect and smart
picturethis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5

" We just not as perfect and smart"

What was your first clue...that it took you 3 months to reply to my post, or the fact that you got burned with a cheap battery?

And by the way, I didn't say 'I find it amazing', I said 'I find it rather amusing'. If you're going to quote someone, at least get it right.

the Hun

Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:20 PM   #6

Just happen to be reading some old posts (would of replied three months ago if I was a member) and kept seeing this smart guy with his "I just find it amusing" (same difference) remark. Like I said before Dr. Hun, we just not as smart as the battery man. By the way, you can quote using different words that ALMOST mean the same, the other party can figure it out.

"Thank you come again"

HAROLD & KUMAR
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:01 PM   #7

You obviously don't understand the difference between direct and indirect quotation. Quotation marks are used to indicate the exact words used by another in your writing.

Do my posts bother you that much 62? So much so that one of them has been eating at you for 3 months...so badly that you had to join the forum just so you could call me a "smart guy"? Or maybe you blame me because you were foolish enough to buy one of those ebay specials (after reading my post) and it didn't work too well. Maybe you were angry at yourself because you didn't join the forum 3 months ago to berate me.

So after you wasted your money on a battery, you went out and wasted even more on a movie...I thought you had to be at least 17 to see that kind of garbage. You had me convinced you were a child.

the Hun

Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:59 PM   #8

You obviously don't read well either. Iread your replies for the first time yesterday, joined about a month ago, not even. First day I found this site, I joined.One day not threemonth buddy. About your indirect and direct, the meaning of quote: To repeat a statement, etc. Sooo, since I didn't go back to your post and see if you used amazing or amusing your right. Unless repeat a statementdoesn't mean word for word. Anyway I find it amusing and amazing that you would know that "Thank you come again" is from the movie HAROLD & KUMAR without watching it. So now your also a LIAR!

Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:38 PM   #9

"Unless repeat a statementdoesn't mean word for word."

The English lesson is over...I'm wasting my time here.

Oh, so now I'm a liar? Did I say I never watched the movie, schmuck? I kinda figured that the QUOTE you made might have come from that moronic flick.

So how come you fled NY for the West Coast Billy boy? Too much competition in the produce business? The pressures of industry getting to you?

the Hun

Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:22 PM   #10

Actually I strangled a guy that sold me a bad battery.Had to leave the state,my location nowis false and the last time I was on America's Most Wanted they said I like to go on Ebay and buy bad batteries. I use them as bombs! Hey Kumar, what kind of a name is Hun anyway, does that have like two H's and three U's:G

Produce is doing great! I was transfered out here, more money better position, company moved me. I must be liked.Got a new house and twoEuropean cars and a great new camera, with ONE good battery. Life is good. I must be getting to you, checking my profile now are you, hunny boy!