Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1

hello, i recently bought a Nikon Coolpix camera and i was wondering if i have to buy the same batteries and charger they talk about in the manual or can i buy a different one? and also, lithium batteries, does it matter what kind?
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:13 AM   #2
E.T

Could you be little more specific...
Like more exact model of camera?
(/battery type)

And Li-Ion batteries are incompatible with AA, even if shape would be similar voltage would be different.

If you're camera has Li-Ion battery then you don't really have much other choises than "brand batteries" unless some third party makes similar batteries.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

i have a nikon coolpix that takes AA size batteries, it says I should use the Nikon batteries and charger, is that mandatory or can i use another one without screwing up the camera? because there are cheaper brands out there than the nikon brand
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:17 AM   #4
E.T

Then any AAs will do fine... (except standard nonrechargeable batteries which can't handle bigger currents so well and won't last long)

Just remember to buy charger with separate control circuit for every cell.
Worst case is totally dumb timer charger which always loads set amount of time regardless of is it frying full batteries or is it leaving them half empty.
Charger with control circuit for every pair of cell isn't so good also, if other cell is more full when starting loading/cells store charge at different speed it ends charging when either one of cells becomes full.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:53 AM   #5

just go buy some energizer 2500 mah and a lacross bc900 or nexcell 50 model also look at the battery shoot out for info on batterys. be ware of weird name batterys i hav found some that the internal resistance is so high that they will not work right on most cameras . also some times you may have a matched set of batterys that one might get a internal resistance problem. and make you think your batterys are bad just use those for remote controlls and flash light. but in most cases its only one of them .:|
a1key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:47 AM   #6

A1KEY: AA batteries question, I have a set of 1800 mah NIMH batteries, about a year old. I have been charging them in my (bought in 2000) Radio Shack charger (but it was bought in the day when 1500 mah was high cap). They seemed to work OK in my old Casio camera, but my (then new) Nikon Coolpix 3200 would only turn on, say battery exhausted, and shut down. They did seem to work OK in my wireless mouse (but not as long as throw away alkalines). I just bought a Lightning Pack 4000N charger and just now put them in that to try it (with a conditioning run). I was thinking they might be bad. What is your opinion?
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote