Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 21, 2003, 6:14 PM   #1

Default Best uses you found for NiMH batterys

I bought extra of these thinking they would replace Alkaline batterys but was surprised to find they are not recomended for everything. They work great for Digital Cameras and other high drain electronics like small tv's but was told not for flashlights or remote controlls becasue of there low voltage and discharge rate. Alakaline have a much greater shelf life and can be stored for many years with little discharge while none rechargerable battery offers this. My homer simpson clock came with instructions not to use rechargable batteries and when i asked the place i bought my NiMH batteries from he game me the reasons i said above. But the test is always in the pudding so what have you found NiMH batteries work & don't work well in that it'a better to go Alaklian in? Have you used 9 volt NiMH in Smoke detecters?
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:23 PM   #2

Default Re: Best uses you found for NiMH batterys

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMenace
Have you used 9 volt NiMH in Smoke detecters?
No, you must use an alkaline and idealy , change it each 6 months.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:49 PM   #3
lg

NiMh's lose their charge in about a month or two, and for that reason would not be a good choice for smoke detectors, clocks, or other applications that have low current drain but would be better fitted for batteries with a long shelf life. Alkalines are best suited for those purposes, as you were directed.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 5:59 AM   #4

That's why your pc uses lithium chemistry - you wouldn't want your BIOS settings to vanish after a couple of months!

Your car uses lead acid - great for cars regularly driven, sealed lead acid could be used in flash units BUT requires leaving on trickle charge.

Ni-cad has a lower self discharge rate than NimH, but is lower in current capacity for size - this is largely due to environmental disposal issues which have promoted the development of NiMh as a better alternative.

Alkalines are best for medium high peak current, with good storage life and low self discharge. E.g clocks/smoke detectors.

Li-ion seems good at most things having lower self discharge than Nimh - but implementation package and voltage depends on pack manufacturer.

Burglar Alarms/fire detection systems can use NiMh/Ni-cad/lead acid - provided they are in a mains supported trickle charge system.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:56 PM   #5

You can buy slightly lower voltage bulbs for torches (flash lights) for use with rechageable batteries - maglite amonst others sell them.

Kid's toys
Ghetto blasters
MP3 players
Walkmans etc
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
You can buy slightly lower voltage bulbs for torches (flash lights) for use with rechageable batteries
Interesting topic. The first thing I do with a re-chargeable torch, is rip out the Xenon gas filled bulb and put in a HIGHER voltage bulb same or smaller milliamps. Unless it's a bike you're riding, what usually matters with a torch is you need it working a long time in emergencies and it's useable after a long period of storage - that is the re-chargeable batt prob, unless left on trickle charge. Those big lantern jobs last hours on the lower wattage bulbs.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote