Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:09 PM   #11

Okay, will se if I find any charger that says it charges individually then, but which is still 35€ or less.

Didn't find the Dustin Pro 66 at that shop. Maybe they've stopped selling them.
Most Lemnar chargers I've seen that are cheaper seem to charge in 6-8 hours or so, or in other words, not something I should get, eh?
dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:06 AM   #12
blr

Here it is

http://www.dustinhome.se/dacsaportal/?ProdID=5010073210

blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:25 AM   #13

Okay, thanks. But I read that they ship only to Sweden.

Well, I took a look at some shops in town.

I found one that costs 30€ and has four 2500mha battiers with it. It was at a reduced price. Yoma or something like that was the brand.
It hasn't the individual cells thing, but it said it microprocessor checking the energy of the batteriesand that it keeps the batteries from overcharging. Charges in 1,5-8 hours or something like that.

At Claes ohlson there's this one too:
http://www.clasohlson.se/images/prod...-04_112223.jpg

No batteries, but is that one any better?

"Batteriladdare för 230V och 12V. För NI-MH och Ni-Cd batterier. Laddtid 2,5 till 16 timmar beroende på batterikapacitet. Laddar t.ex R6 2500 mAh på 3,5 timmar. Avsedd för 2 eller 4 st/laddning av batteristorlek R03 , R6, R14 och R20 och 1 eller 2 st/laddning av 9V. Laddningen övervakas av en microprocessor. Negativ delta-V cut off funktion. Övergår till underhållsladdning. Temperaturövervakning för att förhindra att batterierna blir överhettade. Lysdiodsindikering. Lev. med 230V adapter och 12V kabel. Storlek 180x130x62 mm."

That one has the microprocessor thing too... But does it even check that they are not overcharged? Is that what the overheating thing does, or?

All in all, I found it hard to find cheap ones that had the individual thing. But some hade the overcharge function. If I use a pair of batteries in a camera and recharge them at the same time when they are dead, do I really even need the individual thing, or?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:46 AM   #14
E.T

dufvasven wrote:
Quote:
It hasn't the individual cells thing, but it said it microprocessor checking the energy of the batteries*and that it keeps the batteries from overcharging.
If it doesn't monitor/charge cells individually it charges them according to that cell which was fullest at the start of charging/stores charge best leaving other cells "half empty".

Unless there's four lights (one per every cell) it definitely doesn't include individual charging/monitoring.
Also other thing which tells charger is intelligent with separate circuits is that it charges one to four batteries (not 2 or 4) at once and you can mix NiMH and NiCd cells.

Claes Ohlson's product 32-8506 might be better.
It looks like this:
http://www.vanson.com.hk/details/p3035.html

But same should be available here:
http://www.paratronic.fi/

Also this has some chargers
http://www.partco.fi/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:51 AM   #15

Is over-heat protection the same as overcharge protection? The one you showed me had over-heat, but didn't read anything about overcharge.

The one you showed me was 45€ for the charger and batteries... Hmm, I'd like to stay at about 35€, including batteries.

"it doesn't monitor/charge cells individually it charges them according to that cell which was fullest at the start of charging/stores charge best leaving other cells "half empty"."

Doesn't that then still mean, that if I make sure both batteries are down to as little energy as possible before charging, I'll have a good resulut after charging.
I.e. a fast charger withovercharge protection is the only thing I need if I don't want my batteries to be dead in two years, as long as the batteries charged are about the same energy level left.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:41 AM   #16
E.T

dufvasven wrote:
Quote:
Is over-heat protection the same as overcharge protection? The one you showed me had over-heat, but didn't read anything about overcharge.

Doesn't that then still mean, that if I make sure both batteries are down to as little energy as possible before charging, I'll have a good resulut after charging.
4 independent channels...
http://www.vanson.com.hk/details/p3035.html

Also after charging it changes mode to low current "trickle" charge which keeps batteries full (you can left charger on for days) and is better for getting cell charged to 100% capacity.

Here's quite good info about charging batteries.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Disharging batteries to same level doesn't help because cells might store charge at different rates, other one gets charged faster, other little slower and there can be small differences even in capacity. (and even bigger problem would disharging them to same level)

Paratronic has that charger for 39 Brussels roubles.
http://www.paratronic.fi/akkulaturi.shtml

To put it short, good and cheap means two separate chargers.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:08 PM   #17

Thanks for being patient with me.

I actually found another charger today. Can't remember the brand, but was something like fastcharger, quickcharger or something.

Well, it was at a special price, just 24 euros. It had individual cell chargers, and came with four 2500 mAh batteries. There was not much info on the package. Charged two AA 2500mah at 2,5 hours or so at least (one at 1,5h or so). Didn't read anything about overcharge protection or the likes. The price alone was quite impressive. How do you think I would manage if it hasn't got overcharge protection? Individual or overcharge protection a more important feature?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 3:14 AM   #18
E.T

dufvasven wrote:
Quote:
...but was something like fastcharger, quickcharger or something.
Sound "promising" (or not) that those are most advertized things in it...

Individual charging monitoring is better, it charges every cell to its full capacity doing overcharging protection individually meaning it doesn't leave other cells half empty unlike two (or one) "channel" chargers which stop charging when one cell in that channel becomes full.

Mikrobitti 2/2005 has article about battery chargers and batteries which become with chargers, they also tested one cheaper charger (with "2500mAh" cells) they bought from Anttila... with that charger they got 300 mAh out from those cells, with one charger in test that increased to "mighty" 700 mAh. If you send your email address to me in private message I can send that article in PDF-format.

Now Anttila appears to have some "Everfast travel" which claims to be four channel charger.
On the other hand manufacturers info is somewhat weird.
1 x AA 2000 Ni-MH > +/- 60 mins
2 x AA 2000 Ni-MH > +/- 120 mins

With individual charging amount of cells shouldn't affect to charging time anyway... or maybe Everfast got stingy/saved costs in power supply and it's unable to provide power for full current charging of more than one cell.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:13 AM   #19

Hehe. You are a lot better than me at finding stuff. It was just that Everfast one that I found. Only 24€ at Anttila. Although, it says to have cost 40-50e or something like that. hihi

Was it just that charger tested in Mikrobitti too?
300-700 mah... There's no reason to buy thatcharger (although it seemd to have all the features and at a good price) if that's the case.

Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:40 PM   #20

Thanks for sending the article! Finnish is not my mother's tounge, but I tried to read the thing about the cheap one and understood it well.

It was, however, not a charger by the same brand as the one I was looking at. And that one testeddidn't have individual cell charging.
The question is, is it worth buying it and standing the risk of it being all that bad? At best, the charger is not as good as brand chargers with 2500 mAh, but at least close to brand chargers with 1600 mah or so. But that I can live with... 300mah I can't.

Hmm, how do I know that even the Vanson charger (40-50€) is even better than this one? Seems to me, either buy a 70€ one, real good brand, or settle with this one and hope it's quite good.
Final opinions?