Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:12 AM   #1

I'm planning to buy a digital camera and I've got an old charger, gotten from my old Nikon coolpix 3100 camera. "Ni-mh battery charger MH-70". "charge only nickel metal hybride type rechargable batteries" it says.

Can I just buy new ni-mh batteries (non-nikon brand)for it and charge them?

I could get one of these:

http://www.clasohlson.se/images/prod...-31_095440.jpg

for 12 euros (including four 2000mah batteries).

Which alternative would be better?

Or I could get an EFORCE LR6 (AA) V900 PC22 + 4 NiMH LR6 (AA) 2500 mAh
But that one is about 35€... Would it really be worth it over the low price one above?

dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:11 AM   #2

Hello Dufvasven,

I think you would be better off using the Nikon charger.

The Vanson and Enforce chargers are timed chargers. They charge your batteries for 10-12 hours, regardless of the state of charge of the battery. If the battery is half full, you end up with an overcharge condition.

The Nikon charger charges in about 2.5 hours which tells me that it has some "smarts" to discern the end of charge signal. It only charges 2 cells, but in 5 hours you would have 4 cells ready to go and that would still put you 5 hours ahead of the other chargers.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:38 AM   #3

Okay, thanks for the reply.

I've got sort of a bad feeling about the Nikon charger... You see, the Ni-mh 2000mah batteries that came with the camera have turned really bad. Can barely take a photo with the nikon 3100 anymore. I guess we used them for 2 years almost before we gave them up... Or do all chargers have batteries lose their power after time like that?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:58 AM   #4

Hello Dufvasven,

That is a vary complex question... It depends on the quality of the battery to start with, and goes on to how you use (or abuse) them in actual use.

It is not unusual for a company to offer a substandard battery in a package deal, and it is not unusual to end up with a bad battery.

I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. If the charger came with free batteries, use them until they stop working, then get some quality cells to replace them.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:32 PM   #5

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...make~Nikon.htm

Sure it works with other batteries? It's said to be made for the special EN-MH1 batteries that came with the camera.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:00 AM   #6
blr

I'd say neighter. As mentioned the two chargers youhave in mindare slow, timed chargers. Besides being slow they are not good for your cells. From what I can recall when I had the Coolpix 3100 the included charger heated the cells too much, which is a sign of overcharging. That is why your oldcells are dead after 2 years.

Take a look at something that is microprocessor controlled and charges in 3 hours or faster. I can recommend Lenmar Mach1 Gamma. It charges 4 cells independently in about 70 minutes without overheating. Lenmar makes good chargers, but IMO their cells are not as good. If you can get the charger without cells and get some Sanyo cells separately. The new Sanyo 2500 mAh cells are beyond doubt the best ones today.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:30 PM   #7

Okay, but the Nikon charger won't explode if I just new non-nikon nimh rechargables in it?

Any other chargers with that system, preferably as cheap as possible. Thatone was definitely too much for my budget (did find it eventually on one Finnish site).

I don't need that good batteries&charger, since I'm not going to use the camera THAT much.

tack för hjälpen.

Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:22 AM   #8
blr

dufvasven wrote:
Quote:
Okay, but the Nikon charger won't explode if I just new non-nikon nimh rechargables in it?

Any other chargers with that system, preferably as cheap as possible. Thatone was definitely too much for my budget (did find it eventually on one Finnish site).

I don't need that good batteries&charger, since I'm not going to use the camera THAT much.

tack för hjälpen.
No, the Nikon charger won´t explode, but it will overcharge your cells every time, which will shorten their life. Your new cells will start loosing capacity after as little 20-30 cycles. The self-discharge may also increase early.

Got to your local electronic/photo store and see waht they have in stock. Look for something that has 4 independent chanells (can charge 1,2,3 or 4 cells) and is reasonably quick, say 2 hours or less. You should be able to get something like this bundled with 4 cells for about 35 Euro. Even if you don't use you camera that often this is an investment that will pay itself off over time

Lycka till
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:07 AM   #9

When you say four independant channels, do you mean just that it can charge eachbattery"individually"then? Like, if two are semi-full and the other two are empty, it charges the semi-full ones a shorter time?

And even if I always recharge empty cells, will the long time, cheap chargers charge them too much?

As said, the nikon charger charges in a couple of hours... But it is still a bad charger?
Hmm, what I'm trying to say, is what exactly should be written on the specs of the charger? That it can charge cells individually only, or that it can measure the energy in the batteries and not overcharge them?

Here's a another Lemnar... Too cheap I guess? http://www.lenmar.com/details.asp?Model=PRO99

I guess 35 euros is not too much in the end... It's just, the other lemnar cost 45€ at the only web shop in Finland I found it.

Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:21 PM   #10
blr

dufvasven wrote:
Quote:
When you say four independant channels, do you mean just that it can charge eachbattery"individually"then? Like, if two are semi-full and the other two are empty, it charges the semi-full ones a shorter time?

Yes, exactly this is the best way. Each cell should be charged individually.

Check also Lenmar Pro66. Another good charger from Lenmar. Chargers in little over an hour without heating the cells too much. I know dustin home in Sweden have them (www.dustinhome.se) for about 35 Euro shipped for the charger and 4x2300 mAh cells. I don't know if they ship to your country (Finland?) and what the shipping charge may be.

Even if you discharge your cells flat every time slow charging is not the best . Slow charging promotes crytalline formation whichmay lead to a voltage depression (improperly called memory efect).NiMH cells "like" to be charged fast, providing that no overcharge occurrs.Also think that it may happen sooner or a later that you may need your cells ready in a hurry. It is always better IMO to be able to put them in the charger and have them charged in 1-2 hours.