Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1

I just ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 camera that comes with a 680mAh CGA-S002A Li-Ion battery and a DE-993B charger. I'm disappointed in the proprietary battery thing, but (hope) I like the camera. I want to buy a second battery. Panasonics cost as much as $50 or more. I can find Lenmar, Maxell and generic replacements for as little as $8 on eBay, some with capacities up to 1300mAh. I've read that some people have trouble with the fit even with so called "100% compatible direct replacement" batteries. It appears that DMW-BM7 is equivalent to the CGA number above. From an online pdf of the manual:

Input: 110 – 240 V 50/60 Hz, 0.15 A
Output: CHARGE 8.4 V 0.43 A

So.....

1. Does anyone know if the Panasonic charger that comes with the camera and the 680mAh battery will charge a (up to) 1300mAh battery? (I really want to avoid buying a second charger, too.)

2. Does anyone have any experience with a specific brand or source of replacement batteries for the FZ5?

3. Is there a difference between a CGA-S002A, a CGA-S002A/1B, etc. if they all claim compatibility with the camera?

This site helped me choose the Panasonic. I hope you can help me choose the proper spare battery, too.

Thanks!

RaymondW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:20 PM   #2

$8? Better read this:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=51

http://www.cipa.jp/english/attention/index.html

You knew about the proprietary battery before you bought the camera...

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...415288#p415288

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:43 PM   #3

the mAH rating on the battery is an indicator of its capacity, not how hard the charger has to work to charge it; a 1300mAH battery should have no trouble in your charger, though it may take a little longer to charge. i have been using non-Panasonic batteries in my FZ20 (same battery as the FZ5) for a year with zero problems. i have a couple of750mAH batterieswhich i purchased on ebay for $15 or less as spares, and they are completely interchangeable with the factory 680mAH cell, both in the camera and in the charger. i haven't seen any with capacities higher than 800mAH that i'd trust, though... where does that 1300mAH battery come from?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4

I didn't say I was surprised about the proprietary battery. I am disappointed. I think the camera is better in some ways than some I was considering and I think it's a good value. But I also think Panasonic could build a camera that uses AA or AAA batteries like many others do.

Regarding the counterfeir batteries, you may be right that the dirt cheap batteries are just that. But I still don't believe that all third party batteries (i.e.,Energizer) are any more dangerous than the OEMs. It's interesting to note that CIPA is evidently made up of people who only sell the $50+ batteries. Do you buy your replacement car battery from the car dealer?

That's why I asked if anyone has any experience with specific third-party batteries.

Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:34 PM   #5

Squirl, here's the link to that 1300mAh battery on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

The text says 1300mAh but the battery says 680. I asked the seller to clarify but he hasn't responded yet. Could be a typo, but there's a big difference between 6-8-0 and 1-3-0-0. LOL
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:53 PM   #6

yeah, unless he was adding the two of 'em together! LOL! i have yet to see a battery for the FZ series cameras that exceeds 800mAH from any reputable source.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:52 PM   #7

Squirl,

That guy from eBay insists that the battery is 1300mAh.

I also found this interesting listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-PANA...QQcmdZViewItem

Someone went to a lot of trouble to duplicate the packaging, too, if it's a counterfeit. Not sure that a S002E is equivalent to a S002A, though.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:13 AM   #8
E.T

Like it's in lens converters it's same in these, eBay is full of scammers selling paperweights.

From unknown no name batteries I wouldn't touch. (/would return battery fast towards sellers face)
Other thing I wouldn't touch even with long stick (although I could touch seller with that stick) are "brand" batteries at much lower price than normally.
Especially if battery is claimed to have much bigger capacity than original battery which came with camera.

But I don't think that replacement batteries from known battery makers standing behind their names (batteries have clearly their name) aren't so much worse.
I have two Lenmar's batteries for KM A2 because original brand batteries would be 100€.
Their capacity appears to be very close to original (of course haven't tested scientifically), those keep charge equally well than original and have that "breathing hole" to prevent built up of pressure.

Of course if you go to certain countries in Asia they make counterfeits from pretty much every kind products...
(even few cases with counterfeit computer motherboards)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:29 PM   #9

Raymond,

Does Energizer make a battery for your camera? You mentioned $8 generic replacements in your original post.

If CIPA was comprised of a consortium of ebay merchants would you believe anything they said?

If your car ran on batteries rather than gasoline, wouldn't you consider buying replacement batteries from the car dealer?

You bought a nice camera...why risk ruining it with a cheap battery?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:06 PM   #10

Does Energizer make a battery for your camera? You mentioned $8 generic replacements in your original post.
http://www.energizerbatteries.com/productdetail.asp?device=DIGCAM&prodcode=30022

There are also some $8 (and cheaper) batteries on eBay, some were cited as perfectly acceptable above.

If CIPA was comprised of a consortium of ebay merchants would you believe anything they said?
I'm not saying people on eBay are MORE trustworthy, I'm only saying that I'm suspicious of a manufacturer who claims that the ONLY battery I should trust is the one they happen to sell at an inflated price. If that were coming from CNN or NBC or a user group, I'd have more confidence in it.

If your car ran on batteries rather than gasoline, wouldn't you consider buying replacement batteries from the car dealer?
It doesn't, so I don't know. Butif the battery from the dealer was two or three times the cost of an aftermarket battery, I'd seriously consider the non-OEM product. Especially ifothers have triedand found no fault with it.

You bought a nice camera...why risk ruining it with a cheap battery?
You could say that about a lot of things. If I don't buy a genuine Panasonic case, the bottom could break out and the camera fall to the ground.

I'm just not convinced that there's much higher risk of ruining thecamera with non-OEM batteries. Especially in light of the other comments above. I still haven't heard from anyone whose camera actually DID explode from using a non-OEM battery.

I understand what you're saying. For the record, I bought a Lenmar (reputable name) from Amazon (free shipping).

Ray