Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:14 PM   #11

all very elementary stuff, though a lot of folks do not havea technical understanding of it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:21 PM   #12

Alright, now that thats been cleared up...¬*But really, I think that for the purposes of this board saying that mAh is a measurement of how long the battery will "last,"¬* and that voltage is the strength of the current being supplied is quite sufficient.Just my two cents on the matter...
zebulonA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:25 PM   #13

Oh,and you can also look at this page that I found on Wikipedia:¬*¬*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage¬*¬*and this one:¬*¬*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliamp-hour
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:26 PM   #14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliamp-hour¬*and¬*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:16 PM   #15

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
...voltage is a measure of the electrical power a battery can deliver...
I think that's the statement that E.T had a problem with (as did I - it's just incorrect)- and technically you know E.T's right. For the reasons you later stated, it's no more correct to make that statement than to say that *current* is a measure of power a battery can deliver. So, IMO, the right response to E.T's reply would have been - 'You are right. In my zeal to relate it to the layman, I over-simplified it'.

BTW - does my 25 years as a circuit design engineer trump your experience? (just kidding - I don't think that way)

zebulonA5 wrote:
Quote:
...I think that for the purposes of this board saying that mAh is a measurement of how long the battery will "last," and that voltage is the strength of the current being supplied is quite sufficient...
Except, as has already been pointedout,taking into account things like internal battery resistance which creates heat instead of doing useful things and also drops voltage which could trigger the device to trip off early. (To be most meaningful, mAh ratings have to be stated with assumed load or current.) I would have said "Voltage combined with internal resistance is a measure of the strengthbehindthe current being supplied'.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:08 AM   #16

"No."

This conversation definitely devolved.

They produce a < 1.2V drop don't sweat it?

If they last as long its because 1.36V will produce more current and also have to drop more voltage for it to die, than the 1.28V,
and if they both truely equal 2500 mAh it should work out right? Somesuch about simultaneous equations and other such BS
that I don't know enough to talk about in depth

Job experience: none! Will never have a J O B, I might on occasion get paid for my hobbies though

May the Electromotive Force be with you.

Maybe Magnetomotive when you want your railgun to work after all this time.

Last edited by 0rin; Nov 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM.
0rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:19 AM   #17

All I know is that electricity is made up of tiny paticles called electrons...

Electrons are so very, very tiny that you can not even see them with the
naked eye...

Unless of course you are drunk...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 9, 2010 at 3:41 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:05 AM   #18
Banned

When it comes to power I'm lost, so here is a question asked, is a lost for words. For example, you can use the 9.6 volt 700 mAh battery has a reading of 9.6 volts, but only 375 mA or do they both work together? Is it possible to collect the old packaging, and a voltage meter displays the voltage is correct, not incorrect? If you have a brand new bag that you can fast charge, slow charge or suggestions? I originally posted this problem in the electrical error, there should be more carefully read.
jamesdoown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:32 AM   #19

Volts (V) are a measure of electrical pressure. Amperes/Amps (A) are a measure of electrical flow. Milliamps (mA) are 1/1000 of an Amp. MilliAmp-hours (mAh) are a measure of electrical charge and can be used as an indication as to how long the charge will last, 1 mAh = 1 mA transfered for 1 hour.

1 Volt will push a current of 1 Amp through a resistance of 1 Ohm and produce the power (work) of 1 Watt.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Dec 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote