Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:44 PM   #1

Default 30 NiMh's...what to do what to do...?

Well, I recently got 30 1800mah NiMh's. I've come to the conclusion that I do not need 30 batteries. Right after I got them...I charged them all up. Is there anything special I should do to store them? Also I know that these reach full capacity after about 5 charges, any ideas what I could use as a load to discharge them several times?
zmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2003, 1:03 PM   #2

The Maha 204f charger can do conditioning charging on the NiMh batteries.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 1:23 PM   #3

A torch (flash light).

Here we go, a barrage of do not discharge below 1 volt. A few times won't harm them. Just let them settle for at least an hour before you recharge.

I use 4 1300s in a bike light. I usually forget to recharge before they are flat. I've done this lots of times and they are still going stong.

They're dirt cheap anyway.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 7:26 PM   #4

Quote:
The Maha 204f charger can do conditioning charging on the NiMh batteries.
I guess your dilemma with 30 batteries is 'whenever you want to use them you need to know they will be fully charged' This is a basic problem when you get lots of batts. Even a 2 hour charger taking 8 batts means you might leave those behind! And it's best to keep them on trickle charge and rotate their use for maximum life.

Which is why I'm thinking of getting half a dozen of those nice charger chips, a largish switching power source and a collection of battery holders with embedded temperature sensors.

I know you can abuse Nimh to a certain extent, but the drain from a bulb is different and less demanding than the high current drain from cams and flash when re-charging.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote