Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:58 AM   #1

Hi,

Am all prepared to receive the Canon A610 I had asked a friend to get for me. In preperation for this, I checked the NiMH Batteries I had and found that there were 2 of 2100, 1 of 1750 and 2 of 1200 (Mah I presume).

Now, I was just wondering ... would it be a problem if I popped in the 2 of 2100 and one each of 1750 and 1200 or do they all have to be the same? I do not mind if the no. of possible shots per re-charge are reduced a lil bit owing to this as I do not take pictures on the trot, its mostly restricted to occassions!

My concern is specially owing to the fact that I can't seem to find a pair of 2100s anymore and most shops have the 2500 .... which would mean that I would still have to mix the 2500 with the 2100 or buy all four 2500s.

Since I've already put in for the camera, I'd like to postpone any furthur investment (even if its small) for atleast a couple of months .... besides, I could not think of alternate uses for the 5 batteries I have!

Will appreciate any information!

Thanks & Cheers!
Paparasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:20 AM   #2

Buy 4 new batteries of the same brand and capacity. Mark them and use them together as a set. Do not mix different brands and capacities, it could cause problems.
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:07 AM   #3

Hey, thanks :-)

Guess I'll just follow the advice ... will now make a lil more effort to see if I can get a pair of 2100s from Energizer as the 2 I have (new) are of that brand!

Thanks again and cheers!
Paparasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 1:52 AM   #4

The best practice is as cogito stated; start with new cells of the same capacity and keep them as a set. However, it will not likely damage anything to mix different capacity cells. The performance will be limited by the lowest capacity cell in the battery, so you will only be able to take the number of pictures you would if all cells were 1200 mAH.

Charging a mixture of different capacity cells, is more complex, though, and depends on the kind of charger you have.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:41 AM   #5
E.T

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Charging a mixture of different capacity cells, is more complex, though, and depends on the kind of charger you have.
I wouldn't say there's anything complex in it.
You jsut have to have charger with independend chraging/control circuits for every cell.
(if charger doesn't have own led for every cell then it doesn't have individual charging)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:52 AM   #6
blr

E.T wrote:
Quote:
(if charger doesn't have own led for every cell then it doesn't have individual charging)
Not always the case. There are several chargers made by Sanyo and Kodak (possibly a rebranded Sanyo product) that do charge 4 cells individually but have only one LED. It goes off when the last cell has done charging.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:54 AM   #7
blr

sorry for the double post
blr is offline   Reply With Quote