Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:18 PM   #11

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
Hello Peva,

If you look closely at the specification sheet on the AmondoTech TG2800 charger you will see that it has "refresh," "conditioning," discharge capabilities. You just push a button when you start up and it goes into discharge mode before charging.

I happen to think it is a pretty good charger and carry one with me while traveling.

Tom
Oops - you are correct - that part of its operation is similar to the MAHA 204. I missed the "Separate refreshing function" line. It also handles each cell separately - that's also good.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:36 PM   #12

tritan wrote:
Quote:
What is the difference between the Maha 204 and 401? I want to buy a MAHA but how do I know which has the newer better technology?:sad:
204 charges/discharges the cells in pairs. It has a manually triggered discharge cycle.

401 handles each cell individually, and uses the latest algorithm to condition the cells with negative pulses during the charging cycle instead of having to be manually put thru complete discharge cycles. This makes the reconditioning totally automatic and transparent to the user for maximizing the cell capacity and life.

I wish they would have retained the manual discharge cycle (in addition to the new reconditioning algorithm) for a possible situation with aging cells that could be solved with a complete separate discharge. However, that would have added cost, and no doubt they had to hit a price point in order to avoid pricing themselves away from the competition, and having both the automatic and the manual reconditioning feature would have added very few sales, so I understand them leaving that out.

It may be that the new automatic algorithm will prevent the condition requiring the discharge cycle, *BUT* I really missed the manual discharge cycle when a couple of cells in a batch of new cells had a problem - I could not run the camera with them, so could not force them thru a few conditioning charge/discharge cycles using just the camera and the 401. I ended up pulling out the "outdated" 204 and forcing them thru a complete disharge cycle. That did the trick.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:48 PM   #13

Peva wrote:
Quote:
tritan wrote:
Quote:
What is the difference between the Maha 204 and 401? I want to buy a MAHA but how do I know which has the newer better technology?:sad:
204 charges/discharges the cells in pairs. It has a manually triggered discharge cycle.

401 handles each cell individually, and uses the latest algorithm to condition the cells with negative pulses during the charging cycle instead of having to be manually put thru complete discharge cycles. This makes the reconditioning totally automatic and transparent to the user for maximizing the cell capacity and life.

I wish they would have retained the manual discharge cycle (in addition to the new reconditioning algorithm) for a possible situation with aging cells that could be solved with a complete separate discharge. However, that would have added cost, and no doubt they had to hit a price point in order to avoid pricing themselves away from the competition, and having both the automatic and the manual reconditioning feature would have added very few sales, so I understand them leaving that out.

It may be that the new automatic algorithm will prevent the condition requiring the discharge cycle, *BUT* I really missed the manual discharge cycle when a couple of cells in a batch of new cells had a problem - I could not run the camera with them, so could not force them thru a few conditioning charge/discharge cycles using just the camera and the 401. I ended up pulling out the "outdated" 204 and forcing them thru a complete disharge cycle. That did the trick.

So to a newbie its better to get the 401 if you just want one charger or better for the 204? I never can find reviews on these things. This site is outdated on the lastest chargers! Also is there other good discussion boards for digitial cameras that you can recommend?:-)
tritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:49 PM   #14

Steve - I coudn't agree more.2 weeks ago, I ordered a Canon PS A620. The next day, I found the MH-C204W at ThomasDistributingvia a Google search. I bought the package that came with the free travel case, battery holders, and (4 )Powerex 2500 mAh AA batteries, and a free mini screwdriver kit. What an amazing charger and batteries. It was able to revive an oldset of Sony 2100 mAh batteries to brand new.

Thus far, I'm very impressed with this charger and the Powerex 2500 mAh AA batteries. I highly recommend the for the A620!
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:19 AM   #15

copper,

Did you consider the new charger or not? If I am going to buy one I want the lastest technology and don't know if I should buy the 401 or the 204?:?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:08 AM   #16

Tritan -

Is the 401 actually new? The imaging-resource.com review was done in October of 2002. I believe the 401FS on the Thomas site is the same model with a black case.

BTW, after combing through this forum, I'm looking at purchasing a BC-900. This will supplement my C204w
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:12 AM   #17

I just seen the 401 New icon. I just put two and two together. If that is the case I will order a 401and a set of 2500 and give it a go. what is the BC -900?

THis is cut and paste from Steves review between the 204 and 401

"I've been using the Maha C204F for about two years now but it's recently been replaced by the new C401FS. It's the same (small) size and with its new pulse charging technology it extends the life of your cells and does away with the old "refresh" cycles. Add in the four independant circuits and the lifetime warranty and it's simply a no brainer -- at less than $40 this is the BEST charger on the market.
The standard package includes both AC and 12VDC power adapters and if you need to travel then buy the worldwide power adapter. Happy Trails ! "

:|

Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:43 AM   #18

tritan wrote:
Quote:
So to a newbie its better to get the 401 if you just want one charger or better for the 204? I never can find reviews on these things. This site is outdated on the lastest chargers! Also is there other good discussion boards for digitial cameras that you can recommend?:-)
I would go with the 401. MAHA makes it a point to lead the way as better charging algorithms are discovered. Overall, the batteries should last longer with automatic negative pulse conditioning done with each charge.

Having said that, Ihad to revert back to the 204 to kick start one cell in a batch of 40 that I bought last week. Had I not had the 204 to accomplish that, I would have sent the cell (or set of four?) back to Thomas Distributing as defective, and they would have replaced it. But once that potential problem is out of the way, IMO, you're better off with the 401 for best cell care and life.

If you haven't already seen this, you might take a look at this ongoing testing of rechargeable batteries linked from Steve's 'Rechargeable Batteries' review: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Somewhere in there, the author of that report mentions MAHA actually making changes to their algorithm based on his testing.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:38 PM   #19

Free deluxe case if you order today dec 18 so I ordered the 401 and a set of 2500 AA. I will have to give it a try.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:47 AM   #20

Heh heh! That's a come-on that they run practically every day.