Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:24 PM   #1

Which rechargable battery and charger set should I purchase? I'm planning on getting a Canon A620 and I heard that using NiMh batteries with that camera would be good. However, I don't know anything about brands, etc. or anything about batteries in general.

Could anyone recommend me something?
donkeykang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:19 PM   #2

Try to get the highest MAH rating you can get.

Try to get a charger that lets you charge by plugging into a wall, as well as a 12V connector for your cigarette lighter in your car.

As for which brand, I wouldn't have a clue these days.

I used a SUNPAK charger and batteries for a while and they did a nice job, and were real cheap to buy.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

Here's a listing for a SUNPAK charger and four 2300 MAH batteries, plus the ability to plug into your car lighter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=172282

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:56 AM   #4
Administrator

See our NiMH Batteries page, lots of batteries and chargers. Recommend the Maha PowerEx MH-C204Wcharger, you can get it and a set of 2300mAh batteries for less than $30.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:20 PM   #5

steve,

I am wondering how the maha compare to the energize digital rechargeables? I did see them in your review. I didn't see the engergizer charger either. I also wonder how them compare to Batteries plus charger and battery kit for 30.00?

tritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:09 PM   #6

I picked up a pack of 6 Sanyo AA 2500mah batteries and a 120v charger at Costco for $23. I also ordered another dozen Sanyo 2500mah batteries from Thomas-Dist. and some extra plastic cases.
BJ's only has the Panasonic 2300mah sets.
I have not had the Sanyo sets long enough to tell if they are better.
photoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:35 AM   #7

Do not buy cheap ass batteries or chargers. Sanyo NiMHs are first class. Cheap chargers will ruin your batteries, get a smart charger that won't overcharge them. The link below shows an excellent charger. That outfit also sells Sanyo batteries, and Titanium batteries, which are also excellent. It is a good idea tokeep your sets of NiMHs together, do not mix batteries in different devices if possible, or with different brands and capacities. Many people make the mistake of buying the cheapest batteries and charger they can find, and end up replacing them fairly quickly or causing damage to their cameras.

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=814
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:11 AM   #8

Cogito wrote:
Quote:
...Cheap chargers will ruin your batteries, get a smart charger that won't overcharge them. The link below shows an excellent charger...

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...amp;ProdID=814
There's no mention of any reconditioning mode in the description of that charger. The MAHA 204 has a manually initiated discharge mode that is recommended for every 10th or so charge cycle. The newer MAHA 401 has a partial discharge pulse that occurs periodically during every charge cycle for automatic optimum battery life without a separate complete discharge, and it also processes each cell individually (not in pairs). NiMH batteries need some type of reconditioning, or their capacity can start dwindling. I agree that proper charging (i.e., not overcharging) is the first line of defense in not ruining the batteries, but some proper type of reconditioning will squeeze that extra bit of life out of them and optimize their capacity throughout their useful life.

I've replaced the 204's recently both at home and at work with 401's, but am keeping the 204's in a drawer as I have a feeling that the manual discharge cycle of the 204 could come in handy for reviving older cells that sometimes get finicky.

Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:44 PM   #9

Hello Peva,

If you look closely at the specification sheet on the AmondoTech TG2800 charger you will see that it has "refresh," "conditioning," discharge capabilities. You just push a button when you start up and it goes into discharge mode before charging.

I happen to think it is a pretty good charger and carry one with me while traveling.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:33 PM   #10

What is the difference between the Maha 204 and 401? I want to buy a MAHA but how do I know which has the newer better technology?:sad:
tritan is offline   Reply With Quote