Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:08 AM   #1

Default NiMH Battery & Charger Compatability - Olympus

I have just purchased an Olympus D5050 that came with the Oly BU300 charger and Oly 1700 maH batteries. The charger instructions say quite clearly to not use other batteries with this charger, and not recharge the batteries in another charger. I have been reading reviews and comments on various batteries and chargers -- is this really an issue or just manufacturer CYA-speak?
TxRiverlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:16 AM   #2

well... both. there are people out there that wil no matter what will attempt to recharge standard alkaline batts. and then there are those somewhat limited rechargeable alks i believe from ratovac.

in the long run you will probably get a Maha C204F or a C401FS batt charger designed for NiMh or NiCd batts because they are the best currently out there

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:29 AM   #3

Default Re: NiMH Battery & Charger Compatability - Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRiverlady
I have just purchased an Olympus D5050 that came with the Oly BU300 charger and Oly 1700 maH batteries. The charger instructions say quite clearly to not use other batteries with this charger, and not recharge the batteries in another charger. I have been reading reviews and comments on various batteries and chargers -- is this really an issue or just manufacturer CYA-speak?
Rubish!! Olympus is just trying to make buy only Olympus products. Your camera can use any NiMH batteries and NiMH chargers. I've been using Maha, Maxell, and some off generic brands with my Olympus cameras, C-4000Z, C-2100UZ, and E-10. All are working fine. Infact, I've also used the Digipower DPS-9000 lithium ion external battery pack with the above mentioned cameras without any problems also.

Your safe to use a different brand NiMH batteries and charger. Make sure you use at least 1800MAH for best results.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote