Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:06 PM   #11

qwerty11 wrote:
Quote:
So is the enegizer 15 minute charger one like I should be buying?
If you're willing to live with reduced battery life, then, yes. And for a given charge, it won't be 100% - to squeeze that last 10 or 15% of charge into the battery, it has to sit a while at a considerably lower charging current. Perhaps neither of those is a concern to you, but at least make your decision with those realities in mind.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 4:08 PM   #12

Hello Peva,

I was wondering if you have any hard data on the reduction in cell life from using the Energizer 15 minute charger.

You are correct in observing that it does not charge the cells to 100%, but you are off in your estimation of how full the actually get. I have done extensive testing with this charger, andthe results revealed that it fills thecells to 96%.

The cells that I am using to test this charger have nearly 200 cycles on them. The last 60 full charge cycles have been on the Energizer 15 minute charger. I am seeing no reduction in capacity.

The current cell chemistry is supposed to be good for around 500 cycles. If things keep going as they have so far, I should have no problems getting to at least half that, and probably beyond that.

The Energizer 15 minute charger uses a very sophisticated algorithm for charging. It dumps around 7.5 amps into the cells, and does it in a way that the cells don't heat up. The cells come off my charger at 110 - 120 F. I am still not sure how they do that, but it is very impressive. I have slow chargers that heat the cells higher than that.

I must also add that this charger is a new product. Energizer states that to get the most cycle life from your cells, you should charge them in an overnight charger. However they can not tell me if, or how much, the 15 minute charger effects cell life. They simply state that overnight charging has been studied for years, and they don't have the same history on the 15 minute charger.

The only difficulties I have heard about this charger has been reports of cells coming off the charger very hot. I followed up on this and found that the cells were getting up in the 140 - 160 F range. I told the person to return the unit, because it was malfunctioning. He did that and got it exchanged and is now reporting temperatures in the 120 F range.

This charger has a fan in it, and you have to make sure the air path is clear. There was one report of someone putting a freshly charged cell back in the charger to see if it would charge again. He sat the charger down on a rug, and the cell temperature got pretty hot. He has changed his charger location to allow full air flow, and has not noticed cells getting hot since that. He also has not been able to get the charger to charge a fully charged cell. It seems the safety's are working fine in it.

The only Caveat is that your cells have to be in very good condition. It will simply refuse to charge marginal cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:18 PM   #13

I like the idea of being able to charge in 15 minutes and 96% full is close enough for me. With 4 batteries with a camera that takes two if I charged a pair once a week (wich I wont) it will last me atleast a year. So 10 dollars a year to power my cameraisnt to bad. I havent read about a charger that charges this quick that sounded like a better product. Could somebody give me alink to the exact charger so I dont buy the wrong one?
qwerty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:35 PM   #14

And also which charger is better, the Energizer or this Sony?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SONY-...oductDetail.do
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:15 PM   #15

Hello Qwerty11,

In my humble opinion, the Energizer 15 minute charger is better...

Tom
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:28 PM   #16

silverfox, could you give me a url on the best buy website or another site so I can know exatly wich one you are talking about?

Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:33 PM   #17

Hello Qwerty11,

Here is the specification sheet in the Energizer 15 minute charger.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ch15mn.pdf

I believe it is available at Target stores. Yes, here it is...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000DIIAS

Unfortunately, it is currently out of stock.

Tom
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:14 AM   #18

ahh I wish target had it, do you know of any other retailer that might have it? Thanks for the link BTW
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:46 AM   #19

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
Hello Peva,

I was wondering if you have any hard data on the reduction in cell life from using the Energizer 15 minute charger.

You are correct in observing that it does not charge the cells to 100%, but you are off in your estimation of how full the actually get. I have done extensive testing with this charger, andthe results revealed that it fills thecells to 96%...
OK, TOM. I guess I was speaking from ignorance. It seems like magic to be able to charge cells up in 15 minutes when 1 hr. chargers are known to destroy cells from heat. As you said, the algorithm must be something really special - quite a breakthru. Is there a technical disussion of it somewhere? Thanks for the edumacation.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:47 AM   #20

Why not buy them at Walmart for $17.87?
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote