Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1

I have a Canon Powershot A610 that requires 4 batteries.

I've read the reviews from Steve and Dave Etchells. They both seem to like the Maha/Powerex chargers (204F, 204W, & 401FS). However, their reviews are dated back to '01, '03, & '04. So are these still the best chargers out their for the money?Technology that's a couple years old is usually way outdated.

Is the following Energizer charger with (4) 2500mAh batteries better than the Maha's? I can pick this up at my local Best Buy for $26. That's way cheaper than the Maha 401FS. Granted the Maha does come with a car charger adaptor which would probably come in handy. Is e2 just a fancy name that Energizer came up with or is it somehow different than other rechargables?

socalcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:40 PM   #2

The Maha chargers that you listed are of much better quality and superior technology than the Energizer you are showing.

I was a fan of Energizer batteries until a couple of months back. The 2500 Energizers I had were only about 6 months old and were already losing their capacity (and that after much TLC). Then I purchased the newest Maha 2500's and they have exceeded any others to date, they last much longer than the Energizers and Sanyos did when they were newer.

I have several chargers that I have used over the least few years (Lightning Pack 4000N, pretty good; Maha 401FS also pretty good), but the best I came across lately and have used since 8/05 is the Nexcell NC-50FC http://www.starbatteries.com/nencfoinchco.html

Good Day,

Steven

P.S.

Don't lose your joy over this battery thing as it can get to you. Find something that you are happy with and go on.
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:53 PM   #3

I rec'd this reply when I asked Energizer about conditioning batteries to get full charge:
Thank you for visiting Energizer's Web site and also for your inquiry.

Our rechargeable round cells (NiMH) have no "memory effect." Memory effect is a condition during which the capacity of a battery becomes "depressed"

and is less able to store a charge. With certain types of rechargeable batteries, this condition may occur when a battery is partially discharged repeatedly before recharging. You need not worry about memory problems when using our rechargeable batteries.

Because the rechargeable batteries do not experience problems with memory, you need not discharge them completely prior to charging. You may charge the cells immediately after each use.

note: I have used Energizers for past 2 years with no problems.
quikchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:39 AM   #4

I use the MH-C204W and the LaCrosse BC-900. Both excellent chargers IMO.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:42 PM   #5

FYI - Ordered the Maha 401FS white charger and(8) Maha 2500mAh batteries. They threw in for free the 6 piece jewelers screwdriver set, charger travel bag, and a bunch of battery holders. Cost me $56 with shipping. Not too bad Iguess. :? BTW,the default shipping of $8.99 seemed a bit pricey so I chose the cheaper$3.99 shipping and the order still shipped out the next day.
socalcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

quikchip wrote:
Quote:
I rec'd this reply when I asked Energizer about conditioning batteries to get full charge:
Thank you for visiting Energizer's Web site and also for your inquiry.

Our rechargeable round cells (NiMH) have no "memory effect."...
To put it simply, they (unintentionally) didn't answer your question. Unfortunately, not unusual these days with certain companies.

Several battery companies like to keep the public confused on this issue to make you think that their batteries have absolutely no problems (so you'll buy their product rather than the product of the competition that honestly admits that you'll get best life out of the NiMH's if they are conditioned). It's easy for them to invoke the NiCad memory effect to add to the confusion - i.e., in comparison to NiCad's, NiMH's have no so-called memory effect. The fact is that *all* NiMH's will benefit from reconditioning. I avoid dealing with companies that try to confuse their customers. Sometimes, if they are the only game in town, you are forced to deal with them. But rechargeable batteries? Forget it. They are a commoditywith lots of good/better/best products to choose from without having to deal with the sleazeballs.

Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:34 PM   #7

. . . which is why its wise to purchase a charger with a conditioning feature . . .
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:31 PM   #8

coppertrail wrote:
Quote:
. . . which is why its wise to purchase a charger with a conditioning feature . . .
That too.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:47 PM   #9

It seems you are correct ... as this is a second email reply I received from Energizer:

"Our rechargeable batteries self-discharge at a rate of 1-1.5% per day.

Therefore, we recommend you charge the batteries before every use. I would also recommend a charger that has a trickle charge feature. That way you can leave your batteries in the charger and they will be topped off with a low rate charge. You should occasionally drain your batteries completely by letting them run down to the point where the device will no longer work."

I am waiting for 3rd reply that contradicts the other two :-)

Either way I have used Energizers for past two years and have no complaints!

quikchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:25 PM   #10

So for the people with the maha chargers, which one is better? (or charges more completely in an efficient amount of time) There is the MH-C204W and the Maha 401FS. I don't know which one came out later, and the 204W seems to claim that it gets a fuller charge. Has anyone got any great experience showing one to be better than the other?
Zaphin is offline   Reply With Quote