Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:57 PM   #1

Hehe. Did probably ask this one before sometime, but nobody dared answer!

If I have a pair of batteries that came with a camera (my case nikon rechargable AAs). Can I charge these in my non-nikon charger? What would your best guess be? The batteries says "only with nikon charger"... but, yee, they are nimhs, so why would they not work in other, better chargers?
dufvasven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:36 PM   #2

I would say, Yes! Nimh rechargeable batteries are only made by a couple manufactures with MANY different brand names on them. I would hazard a guess that Nikon does not make these "Nikon" AA's nimh (probably made by Sanyo or Panasonic, etc.).

If the charger you are using is one of the better known ones often mentioned on these forums (Maha, Lightning Pack 4000N, NEXcell, Lacrosse BC 900, and d few others), then they should charge as any other nimh battery would that is in good working order.

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:09 AM   #3

I'm concerned about this too. I have a little-known Vipow charger. The manual says not to use other chargers on the Vipow batteries, but it doesn't mention other batteries in the Vipow charger.
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:50 AM   #4

Okay, Tennisforums, but that's the question the other way round.

I've got an Everfast charger with individual cell charging and a bunch of other features, but, well, it is not a "brand" charger. Maybe I should just continue charging the nikon batteries in its own charger.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:49 AM   #5

Hello Dufvasven,

NiMh batteries should only be charged on chargers designed to charge NiMh batteries.

The same goes for Li-Ion batteries.

NiCd batteries can be charged on either NiMh chargers, or NiCd chargers.

If a charger is properly designed to charge NiMh batteries, it will charge all NiMh batteries, regardless of brand.

If you are switching from low capacity batteries to higher capacity batteries, and if your charger has a timer cut off, you may have to unplug and plug back in your charger to reset the clock to attain a full charge on your batteries.

However, there is one exception... The Ray O Vac IC3 batteries (and I believe it also goes by Varta in Europe), will confuse non IC3 chargers at the end of the charge. The IC3 batteries open up a circuit within the battery to signal the end of charge. The IC3 charger takes that signal as the time to switch from rapid charge to trickle charge. Other chargers take that signal as a sign that the battery has been removed and put back in. They will then start their charge cycle all over again. This cycling continues until you remove the battery from the charger. The result is that the IC3 battery becomes hot and suffers from a bit of overcharge if left on a non IC3 charger for any length of time.

Chargers are a little bit different. The are usually grouped according to their features and capabilities.

Do not expect much from a $7 charger that uses 2 charging circuits for 4 batteries, and has a very low charging rate. The batteries are charged in pairs, and as long as they start out at close to the same state of charge and are left on the charger for a period of trickle charging, they well charge up fine. Simply put the cells in and come back the next day and they are done.

You can expect a lot from a $250 charger. Expect more accurate results. Expect that the batteries will not to be destroyed by the charging process. Expect to be able to choose the charging rate you want to use. Expect to be able to condition any problem or new cells. Expect to be able to charge all sizes of batteries and all chemistries, and to be able to do the charging safely. Also, expect to be able to analyze the condition of my batteries and get a print out by hooking it up to a computer. Being able to fully charge 30 cells in an hour and a half has its advantages in certain applications.

In between, there is a wide variety available.

If you are happy with the way your old charger is working, there is little reason to change.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:39 PM   #6

Okay, Silverfox. That was a very informative post, thanks.

I will probably just go ahead and charge the old nikon batteries in my new non-nikon charger. The batteries are nimh and the charger is for nimhs.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:27 PM   #7

Thanks Silverfox. If my charger blows up, I'm blaming you :lol:
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:15 AM   #8

I bought a Finepix S7000 a couple years ago and got the Sunpak charger & batteries, all from Ritz camera. Everything worked fine for a year, then the batteries started to die. I bought other rechargable NimH batteries for the charger and they never kept the charge. So I went to a Best Buy and asked the guy about chargers and all. He recommended the Energizer Charger and 2 sets of batteries. Well, those NEVER worked! I ended up sending everything back to energizer and they refunded my money but refused to tell me what was wrong with the product.

Then I had a job so I bought a 12-pack of NimH batteries (not rechargable) to get me thru the job and they worked fine!

I kept my old Sunpak Charger but cannot find Sunpak batteries. I don't know where to get another Sunpak set, the Ritz camera store doesn't have them anymore.

Is my experience common? How should I proceed? I want higher than 1800 power batteries but that's what I find with the Quanteray.

Thanks for any help.
Herne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:20 AM   #9
Baz

Herne: Good advice on batteries & chargers is right here on Steve's site.

Goto Steves main page/reviews/accessories: There you will find advice & reviews of chargers & NiNH batteries, and I believe where they are available.

I have Fuji 4 cell cameras like yours. After some years of trying different batteries, I find the best are the Sanyo 2500mah industrial cells. I use the Maha & Lightning pack chargers with good results. Also the LaCrosse BC-900 is an excellent charger, with many options for charging/discharging/conditioning/testing each cell.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:45 PM   #10

Baz, thanks I will check it out.
I had to buy a charger today to get something done and got a Quanaray charger and Quantary batteries, 2400, and I think they are related to Sunpak.

But I will check into your suggestions and look at that page.

Have a nice evening.

March 1st 10:07 EST: Night time news break - the Quantary batteries that I had FULLY Charged DON'T WORK IN MY FUJI!!!

Could there be a problem with my Camera???????? I am really upset now.

Any ideas out there?
Thanks

Herne is offline   Reply With Quote