Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1

Looking for some advice:

I have several sets of GP 2500 Ni-MH batteries which I charge with a GP 5hr charger. I've noticed that one set of four gets extremely hot during the charging process whereas all the others remain at an expectable 'warm'. The set in question hold their charge fine and appear ok in all other respects.

I'm assuming there is someissue with venting during the charge with the 'hot' set. Can anyone comment on this? Many thanks, Steve.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:31 PM   #2

I am not familiar with that charger.

If it is strictly a timed charger (i.e., does not detect full charge and automatically turn off or switch to trickle charge), then the batteries are getting hot because they are getting fully charged well before the charger times out. That could be because they are being put into the charger while not very far down on their discharge curve.

If that charger *is* a smart charger, then for some reason it is not correctly sensing when the full charge is reached on that set and is continuing inhigh charge rate mode. I had that happen with a MAHA smart charger one time - the batteries got so hot that their covers permamently wrinkled, but the batteries have continued to function a couple of years after the one-time incident. If it happens repeatedly with that one set, then I would not put them in that charger (maybe throw them away and replace with another set, or try a different charger).

HTH
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:06 AM   #3

Thanks Peva - it is a smart charger and goes into 'trickle' mode when the batteries are fully charged. During tricklecharge the batteries remain cool - in fact GP advise that the batteries can remain in the charger in this mode for as long as you like.

Think the problem set are not 'venting' during the rapid charge, hence the build up of heat.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:44 AM   #4

Sounds ideal Steve for warming hands on those cold and frosty mornings.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:04 AM   #5

I'm saving them forthe hot camera I have in mind
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:23 AM   #6

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Peva...
Quote:
...Think the problem set are not 'venting' during the rapid charge, hence the build up of heat.

You're welcome!

Venting? Please explain what you mean by that.

There is no venting under normal battery operation/charging. The only venting that happens thatI know of happens in an anomolous situation to prevent a sudden explosion of the battery - a sort of safety valve built into the battery shellto relieve pressure in a controlled, safe manner, and when that happens, there will be swelling and distortion and leakage, and the batteries are discarded.

If I've misunderstood something about this "venting" term, someone please correct me.

Now - some chargers have a door/cover that you can close over the batteries, but some are intended to be left open while charging to help cool the batteries - perhaps that is what you mean by "venting"? If your charger has a cover, check the operation instructions to see if it's supposed to be open or closed during charging. Perhaps there is a door/cover on yours that is supposed to be left open and you're closing it?

Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:31 PM   #7
E.T

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed that one set of four gets extremely hot during the charging process whereas all the others remain at an expectable 'warm'.
Sounds much like that one cell might not be completely good.

Or then it might be that charger is malfunctioning... have you tried charging cells in other order, that would tell if charger has malfunctioning "slot". (because only battery in that particular slot would heat up)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:55 AM   #8

I have had the same thing happen, the first two batteries get hotter than the second two, so it seems to be the charger. I have bought a new charger so I will see how that goes.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:07 AM   #9

Just got a new charger, powerbase 2600 it has individual channels so you can do one at a time. The temperature of all four batteries were the same, however they were still as hot as the hot ones in my other charger, so it isnt that one are getting too hot but that the other two are not getting hot enough, therefore are most likely not getting as much charge. What I have been doing is only using the two at a time and it seems to charge better but if you leave them in there the other two will probably catch up. As steve said, if you leave them in there you will always have a charged set, a few times I have gone to use a spare set of charged batteries and they have been flat, so it pays to leave them in, they dont get fully charged in an hour anyway, on the box it says fully charged in 4-5 hours but its a 1 hour charger.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote