Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:35 PM   #11

Thanks again for the input, Tom...I appreciate it!

And mrb, I just got a CanonS2, as well...good luck!

Randy
randyrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:01 PM   #12
mrb

Thanks Randy. Good luck to you too! Did you decide on a charger? The Maha 808 looks a little big for me, as I want one that I can travel with on vacations, etc.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:01 PM   #13
mrb

Thanks Randy. Good luck to you too! Did you decide on a charger? The Maha 808 looks a little big for me, as I want one that I can travel with on vacations, etc.

OOPS .. Sorry .. I hit send twice! I guess you can edit, but not remove one of your posts.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:27 PM   #14

Hi mrb,

Like you mentioned, Tom has shown that he knows his stuff on batteries and chargers, and since he recommends the La Crosse,I'm leaning pretty heavily towards it. I wish the batteries included with it were 2300s or higher, but I am sure they'll do fine for my needs. I found the set for a bit cheaper through Amazon, but don't know if I'll go that route or not. Anyway, I think that one is probably what I'll end up with...again, good luck!

-Randy
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:18 AM   #15
Baz

After using the BC-900 charger (and others) for some time, I can also highly recommend the LaCrosse charger.

After you get one, and understand it's functions, you will be pleased with it's versatility.

A very useful feature is the ability to test & display each cell's mAh capacity. I have a collection of various brands of AA cells. The BC-900 sorts the good from the not so good.

As far as the AA cells that are supplied with the charger. LaCrosse 2000mAh I believe. They did not test well, revealing capacities from 1400 to 2010 mAh. I dont use them in my cameras any more, but prefer the Sanyo 2500mAh industrial cells. I have 20 of them, and their capacities range from 2420 to 2810 mAh, according to the test results of the BC-900 charger.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:53 AM   #16

Hello Mrb,

There are more chargers out there than you can shake a stick at.

The Energizer 15 minute charger is one of my favorites, but you need batteries in very good condition or it will reject them and not charge them. It is also a little big for travel carry.

I have been using the TG2800 from www.amondotech.com for quite a while and like it. It has an LCD display that gives you a graphic representation of what is going on (no numbers) and has a discharge function should you decide to cycle your batteries. It is compact and does a good job of charging.

I recently picked up the Sanyo NC-MQH01U charger. It charges 4 AA or 2 AAA cells and has a built in remaining capacity indicator. If you need 2 AA batteries in a hurry, it will charge them in a little over 1 hour. 4 AA batteries take a little over 2 hours to charge. At the end of the charge, it shuts off. This charger is a little bigger than the TG2800, but it has some space between the batteries that allows for better cooling during charging. The remaining capacity indicator signals green at 100% charge, yellow at 80% charge, and red at 60% charge or lower.

I don't have a Maha 401, so I can not comment on that charger.

When you get a new charger, keep an eye on it the first few times you use it. NiMh batteries heat up at the end of the charge cycle, but excessive heat will damage the batteries. If the batteries get as hot orhotter than a baked potato, get rid of the charger.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:26 AM   #17
mrb

Tom - Thank you for all the info! I saw in another post that you purchased the Sanyo charger at Costco, but I did not see any NiMH batterys and chargers on their website. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?? If you have a link, I would appreciate it!

Also, does this look like a reliable source?

http://nordicgroup.us/battery/

They like the 401FS
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:01 PM   #18

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:

I have been using the TG2800 from http://www.amondotech.com for quite a while and like it. It has an LCD display that gives you a graphic representation of what is going on (no numbers) and has a discharge function should you decide to cycle your batteries. It is compact and does a good job of charging.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Help a newbie out here...between the La Crosse and the TG2800, which way would you go? I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on the La Crosse, but then I made the mistake of reading the above! :-) Anyway, if you have a favorite between the two, I'd love to know. Thanks!

Randy
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:30 PM   #19

Hello Randy,

I will be more than glad to help you out...

I have both.

I use the BC-900 at home, keeping an eye on it when doing the first charge on brand new batteries, and the TG-2800 while traveling.

Wasn't that helpful...

If I could only have one, I would go with the BC-900. If you place the charger on a silicone hot pad or bathroom tile, you should not have to worry about it, even if it gets "warm."

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:59 PM   #20

Classic answer, Tom...it is quite useful, though! I have an Energizer charger I can use for travel, at least in the short term...so it sounds like the BC-900 is the way to go. I even have a spare floor tile or two... :-)

Thanks again!