Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:53 AM   #41

Now to the second photo!

As I read that older chargers had "Heating/melting"...issues, I as my lovely wife trow away the Granite stone, I decided to use this "Improvisation"...two emptily matches boxes for provide to the charger an a much better & safe ventilation...+ it's on my metal "Micro-Owen" for be cool...I hope that tomorrow...will be 100% OK...& nothing will happen to the batteries & or case charger:blah:

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:00 AM   #42

Ok...Folks my last photo!

I want to show...that in my received charge model they allow an a much better ventilation...behind the batteries...

So IF...IF...IF... the batteries get extremely hot...(Of course depends of the batteries quality & how rapid you want to charge them...:P), I decided to do it at the "Default" 200mAh...as really I'm NOT in rush...second the charger/batteries will life more...:idea:

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:17 AM   #43

Hello BC-900 happy Owners!

A silly inquire...I decided to "Refresh" my NiCd ample batteries collection, which since 2 years are inside my Freeser section of my lovely side by side GE refrigerator, mostly are 500mAH, 4 900mAh, I want to be sure to avoid weeks of leaving the charger/batteries plug in my wall mains, if I can go till 500Mah current "Refresh"...so the discharge will be 250MAh, BUT the charger will came at 500mAh.

I hope that as my native language is NOT English...,I made myself comprehended?:P

Thanks in advance, & to all of you an a very prosperous new 2007 year!

Peace,

Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:00 AM   #44

Alex,

Just a warning... If you're charging high capacity batteries at 200mah, you may actually be increasing your chances of a meltdown. The end of charge detection may not function properly at such a low charge rate. See Silverfox's post on CPF about recommended charging rates... but in summary the battery manufactures recommend .5-1.0 C for the charge rate. (For example with a 2400 MAH battery, charge rate between 1200-2400mah... I know this isn't convenient on the BC-900, so I used 1000 for four 2500 mah Energzer's at a time, and it never overcharged)

I was going to wire a 5v computer fan to blow air on the charger, but decided not to mess with it and instead got the new Maha. Maybe such a solution could work for you?

RobSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:21 AM   #45

RobSpook wrote:
Quote:
Alex,

Just a warning... If you're charging high capacity batteries at 200mah, you may actually be increasing your chances of a meltdown. The end of charge detection may not function properly at such a low charge rate. See Silverfox's post on CPF about recommended charging rates... but in summary the battery manufactures recommend .5-1.0 C for the charge rate. (For example with a 2400 MAH battery, charge rate between 1200-2400mah... I know this isn't convenient on the BC-900, so I used 1000 for four 2500 mah Energzer's at a time, and it never overcharged)

I was going to wire a 5v computer fan to blow air on the charger, but decided not to mess with it and instead got the new Maha. Maybe such a solution could work for you?

WOW!

So the Instructions don't tell the whole TRUTH??? (They recommend maybe for safe/safety suggestion!!!!

My system to "Cool" the charger...at 200Mah as it's the "Factory Default" selection, all is really COOL. Thanks so much...I will charge at your recommendation 1000Mah charging but first I will set the discharge/charger (500Mah) - 1000Mah), & I will write the results
BTW...here I found an interesting review http://www.techmati.com/reviews/rs900/

Peace,

Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:59 AM   #46

Just found this explanation!
Battery capacity
The capacity of a battery to store charge is often expressed in ampere hours (1 A·h = 3600 coulombs). If a battery can provide one ampere (1 A) of current (flow) for one hour, it has a real-world capacity of 1 A·h. If it can provide 1 A for 100 hours, its capacity is 100 A·h. Likewise, 20 A for 2 hours equals 40 A·h capacity. But...

While a battery that can deliver 10 A for 10 hours can be said to have a capacity of 100 A·h, that is not how the rating is determined by the manufacturers. A 100 A·h rated battery most likely will not deliver 10 A for 10 hours. Battery manufacturers use a standard method to determine how to rate their batteries. Their rating is based on tests performed over 20 hours with a discharge rate of 1/20 (5%) of the expected capacity of the battery an hour. So a 100 ampere-hour battery is rated to provide 5 A for 20 hours. The efficiency of a battery is different at different discharge rates. When discharging at 5% an hour, the battery's energy is delivered more efficiently than at higher discharge rates.

To calculate the 5% discharge rate of a battery, take the manufacturer's ampere-hour rating and divide it by 20. For example, you have a AA cell rated at 1300 mA h (milliampere hours). The 5% discharge rate from which this rating was derived would be 1300 mA·h / 20 h = 65 mA.

Really now I commence being harebrained!!!

Peace,

Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:03 AM   #47

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Now to the second photo!

As I read that older chargers had "Heating/melting"...issues, I as my lovely wife trow away the Granite stone, I decided to use this "Improvisation"...two emptily matches boxes for provide to the charger an a much better & safe ventilation...+ it's on my metal "Micro-Owen" for be cool...I hope that tomorrow...will be 100% OK...& nothing will happen to the batteries & or case charger:blah:

Peace,

Hey Alex,

Loving the english. I'm not making fun of you as it's honestly WAY better when some I've seen but it always brings a chuckle to me in a positive non-making fun of someone way.

Anyways, given the history of the BC-900 which I've read a little on I'd probably not use match boxes (hope they're empty) to lift the unit up to vent it. Kind of risky as a fire hazard but I could be just being too careful here.

If you're able to go to a electronics store see if you can a widely spaced copper or aluminum heatsink. Just look around or at dead cars and take the radiator fins off. Now get some thin plastic hosing and you can break off some fins if the heatsink is too close together then stick the tubing in between the fins in the "S" pattern one after the other. Now you'll need a cheap small pump from pet store I think to pump the water in/out. Basically you're making a water cooler system. Never made one before but the idea has floated in my head for a long time. Perhaps someone else that has made something like this can chime in.

Does it ever snow in Israel? I kind of always figured it's in warm area of the earth. Stay safe.

Zero_Enigma
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:52 AM   #48

zero_enigma wrote:
Quote:
Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Now to the second photo!

Peace,

Hey Alex,

Loving the english. I'm not making fun of you as it's honestly WAY better when some I've seen but it always brings a chuckle to me in a positive non-making fun of someone way.

Anyways, given the history of the BC-900 which I've read a little on I'd probably not use match boxes (hope they're empty) to lift the unit up to vent it. Kind of risky as a fire hazard but I could be just being too careful here.

If you're able to go to a electronics store see if you can a widely spaced copper or aluminum heatsink. Just look around or at dead cars and take the radiator fins off. Now get some thin plastic hosing and you can break off some fins if the heatsink is too close together then stick the tubing in between the fins in the "S" pattern one after the other. Now you'll need a cheap small pump from pet store I think to pump the water in/out. Basically you're making a water cooler system. Never made one before but the idea has floated in my head for a long time. Perhaps someone else that has made something like this can chime in.

Does it ever snow in Israel? I kind of always figured it's in warm area of the earth. Stay safe.

Zero_Enigma
My dear Friend,

First of all thanks very heart fully for your " Love my English writing"
As you may noticed it's NOT my mother language, seriously my mother language is Spanish!
Be 1oo % sure that the "matches boxes" are emptly ...of course, after been charging many "Quads' batteries I can assure you that with "My Improvised/makeshift Cool System"...works extremely well. I try ONCE...1000mAh charging...& the charger goes a little warm...but NOT so hot...therefore the new V-13 firmware really do goodness to the whole charger. Now BTW...I'm refreshing olds Ni Cd 600mAh "GP" brand batteries & since 2 days ago till yet only two batteries show me "Full"; the complete cycle at 200mAh...for safely.

Really I'm extremely happy with the unit...satisfies all my batteries charging issues

BTW...Maybe tomorrow will snow for the first time...who knows!:?

Have a nice & productive 2007 year!

Peace,

Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:47 PM   #49

I can confirm the meltdown issue. I was charging 4 2500mah engergizers at 500ma, and they got fried:

http://webfors.com/pictures/bc900_meltdown/

Not a pretty site. The charger itself melted and bent somewhat. I caught it in that state, and it would of kept on going forever had I not pulled the plug. The charger was sitting on top of my new PSB speakers and damaged the finish on them.. boy that peeved me off.

I returned charger for a refund. I did not want a replacement as there is an obvious defect with this charger.

I just ordred the new maha C9000. I sure hope Maha worked out any bugs in this charger.

Enjoy my pics!
webfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:57 PM   #50

You might try this light reading:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147472
(c9000 failure statistics)

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146373
(c9000 Charge termination issues)

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145727
(c9000 official support thread)

In my own experiance, I only see trouble when using AAA batteries in it. All my energizer AAA's failed to terminate... but all of Eneloop AAA's worked fine.

Rob

webfors wrote:
Quote:
I just ordred the new maha C9000. I sure hope Maha worked out any bugs in this charger.
RobSpook is offline   Reply With Quote