Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:30 PM   #1

I have a Powerex MH-C204W charger. I need to buy more batteries as 4 is just not enough anymore. Are there certain kinds/brands that are better?

Can I buy the new 2800Mah batteries--I think this charger originally came with 2300Mah. If I can use the 2500 or 2800 then will this charger only charge them to 2300??
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:57 PM   #2

Steve gave a link to the very nice "Great Battery Shootout" (http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM) that gives comparative test results on variousrated capacity and brands of NiMH's. It is periodically updated, but you can get a very good idea of how brands do compare to each other in general (for any given capacity). Can't go wrong with Powerex, Sanyo, or Sony (Sonys don't appear to be included in the shootout, but have seengood comments by others about them). Just make sure you get the genuine thing and not counterfeit garbage (stick with Thomas Distributing and you'll be safe).

The MAHA/Powerex 204 should be able to handle 2800 mAh's. It is a 'smart' charger - it looks at actual state of charge of the batteries to determine when to switch to maintenance/trickle charge, so a 2800mAh would get charged close to its capacity similar to a 2300mAh (IOW, if the 2300 would be charged to 90% capacity, the 2800 would be charged to 90% of its capacity too. A 2800 battery would take proportionally longer to charge(to cram more electrons in).
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:12 PM   #3

Thank you. So the ones I would find on say Ebay might be fake ones? I'm in Canada, so I was either going to order off Ebay.ca or try to find a Canadian dealer with good prices. What about the Energizer ones--they seem to be rated pretty good on the link you posted and I think I can buy those anywhere.
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:11 PM   #4

Counterfeit batteries:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=36013

Caveat emptor! (especially on e-bay)
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:30 AM   #5
E.T

brendak2000 wrote:
Quote:
So the ones I would find on say Ebay might be fake ones?
They're more than 90% propable fakes.
And why would any responsible shop/vendor sell anything there? So that they can't be tracked?
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote