Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:10 AM   #1

I bought a Canon Battery (NB-2LH) off of Ebay at a phenomenal price. The seller isin Canada but the battery was shipped from Shenzhen China (yes, yes...the warning signs were there but I was stupid.)

It arrived and when I look at it closely, it looks like a fake. :X

http://photobucket.com/albums/e388/pxlbarrel/

What do you guys think? :?

If I had wanted to buy a third party battery, I would have. I wanted a genuine one. His feedback wasexcellent so I didn't think there would be a problem. I'm now in arefund dispute withthe seller and have emailed Canon Canada with photos to see if I'm correct. If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat crow and keep the battery.
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:03 AM   #2
E.T

Looks like fake, sticker is different and its quality seems somewhat worse.
Then that one number is in other place.
And why would anyone ship something made in Japan from China?

Have you measured their weight?
Fakes are generally considerably lighter... because actual cell is often much more smaller in them.

pxlbarrel wrote:
Quote:
His feedback was¬*excellent...
"You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public."
-Scott Adams

And then there's 0% guarantee that feedback is genuine.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:25 AM   #3

Never ceases to amaze me...people buy a camera, knowing that it requires an expensive proprietary battery, then buy cheap, generic (and/or counterfeit) crap batteries to use in their precious camera. ebay feedback formula is: cheap price + fast delivery = excellent feedback. If the product dies, leaks, catches fire or blows up 3 months later, it doesn't show up in the vendor's feedback.

http://www.cipa.jp/english/attention/index.html

http://www.canon-europe.com/Images/13_262231.pdf

Would it be fair to say that if you can't afford to buy a battery, don't buy the camera?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:41 AM   #4

As I said I was stupid. I'm actually heading out to Henrys today to buy the real thing. I thought I could get a bargain and everybody's feedback said it was the real thing. How was I to know they wouldn'texamine their batteries once they received them. The first thing I did was to examine it closely. What are those other people doing???

I'm pretty sure I'll get my money back from Paypal or my credit card company. I gave him negative feedback already and he, of course, retaliated. I don't particular care about that since I'm more concerned about all the others people he's got sucked in because of his "spotless" feedback. Well, no more. :-x

At this point, it's not evenabout the money. LOL ironically, I was going to let it go since I can afford to do so (yeah, yeah, I could afford the camera so I could afford a battery at the regular price....just trying to save a buck or two) but his attitude in his emails justmade me nuts. :X
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:57 AM   #5
E.T

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
then buy cheap, generic (and/or counterfeit) crap batteries
"3rd party" batteries from known makes (who stand behind their products) are entirely other thing than brandless generics which are sold as genuine.

I bought two Lenmar batteries for batterypack/vertical grip of my KM A2 and those perfrom very similarly to original battery, weight is exactly same (not smaller capacity cells inside) and they have breathing hole for preventing building up of pressure.
100 Brussels roubles price for original would be understandable if batteries would be gold coated package...
In SLRs camera makers get easy money from lenses and those but in non-SLR side they can't sell much accessories and prices are so competed that neither they can take easy money from cameras itself.

pxlbarrel wrote:
Quote:
How was I to know they wouldn't¬*examine their batteries once they received them.¬*¬* The first thing I did was to examine it closely.¬* What are those other people doing???
"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
-Bertrand Russell

Quote:
but his attitude in his emails just¬*made me nuts.¬*¬* :X
What can you expect when crooks aren't anymore put to front of firing squad?
Now if they are caught there's no actual punishment if they are convicted.

But remember to post information about that seller to Canon, they might be interested.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:39 PM   #6

I wasn't referring to a "name brand" battery manufacturer. Since you mentioned Lenmar, they sell a NB-2LH replacement battery for $59.99. That's a far cry from a "Buy it Now" ebay special for $1.10...think about it...$59.99 vs. $1.10...has to be comparable quality, right? Now what if that ebay seller jacked up his price to $29.95, to make you think it was a better quality battery...it's still the same crap he was selling for $1.10 today. How much do you think he paid for it - 10 cents?

Regardless of what generic, replacement, or counterfeit battery you use in your digital camera, and regardless of whether it is made by a reputable manufacturer or not, if it ruins your camera, you're screwed. The counterfeit battery merchant will laugh at you...the reputable battery manufacturer will replace the battery or refund your money, but neither is going to replace your camera for you. This is what Canon has to say about that:

"Please be advised that Canon shall not be liable for any malfunctions or accidents, caused by the use of non-Canon genuine lithium-ion battery packs (including counterfeit
lithium-ion battery packs) in Canon products."

Don't hold your breath waiting to get your money back from paypal, unless the seller stated that this was a genuine Canon brand battery, and you can prove that it isn't. Most of the listings I've seen on ebay clearly state "non-OEM", or "generic" somewhere in the listing, which gets them off the hook.

the Hun

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:17 PM   #7

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Don't hold your breath waiting to get your money back from paypal, unless the seller stated that this was a genuine Canon brand battery, and you can prove that it isn't. Most of the listings I've seen on ebay clearly state "non-OEM", or "generic" somewhere in the listing, which gets them off the hook.

the Hun
Actually, he did state in the auction that it was a genuine Canon brand battery. In fact, the exact title of the auction was, "BRAND NEW GENUINE CANON NB-2LH BATTERY". I've added more photos to prove that it's counterfeit. For more ammo, the hologram is a fake. Canon's new holograms to combat counterfeiting are supposed to turn green when you tilt it to the horizontal position. The real one that I just bought does just that...it turns green. The one on the package that he shipped to me doesn't change colour at all. It stays gold. I also find it funny that the outer package says, "Made in China" and the battery says, "Made in Japan".

As for the price...a lot of the obvious generic/knockoffs were being sold at $1 or 9.99. This "genuine" battery was being sold at $25.00. So...ok, I got hoodwinked...but not anymore.

Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:50 PM   #8

Nice job with the photos, pxl...looks like you have a good case for a refund. It also looks like the seller has comitted fraud, however he continues to offer these batteries on ebay. I wonder how many he has sold? I see your buddy Xin has awarded you with the "WORST ebayer" award - congratulations!

Other than the low price, and the fact that the seller was located in Canada, and the merchandise was shipped from China, the ad looked fairly legit. Good thing you investigated before you plopped the battery in your XT.

the Hun

Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:44 AM   #9

Sadly I wouldn't get your hopes up at having any impact on this guys little counterfeit battery business.
I've had similar experiences, not with fake electrical items, but fake signatures + signed CD's
A guy was selling CD's 'signed' by the artist.
One caught my attention, it was signed by my favourite band and it didnt look quite right when compared to the genuine signatures I had.
A quick look at this guys buying history revealed he had bought a pack of 4 permenant markers and a whole bunch of cheap CD's, the SAME ones he was now selling, signed by the 'artist' with the same colour permenant markers!!
Could he have made it anymore obvious?

Seeing the bids just going up and up on all of the cds (some upto £40) I made a new account and outbid everyone on as many of the CD's as I could.
I then of course left negative feedback for all the CD's I 'won' and linked to my eBay profile where I explained and showed all the evidence that this guy was a fraud.
Many people emailed me and thanked me for outbidding them on the CD's and bringing this scam to their attention.

But this didnt last for long, he somehow managed to get ALL of my feedback removed leaving his feedback back at a perfect 100% so he could continue his scam.
I was also banned from eBay, not that I cared, it was an account I set up just for that purpose.

After that experience I totally lost faith in eBay, I couldn't believe they banned me, totally ignored all the evidence I gave them (even after several emails) and allowed him to continue ripping people off for hundreds maybe even thousands of £'s
Not to mention I had no problems at all of setting up an account with all fake details!
eBay needs a real good shake up, there is so much fraud on there its unbelievable, but it seems they don't care about it one bit.
It all becomes clear when you remember eBay are taking a slice of all of these fraudulent transactions.
Money is obviously more important to them :sad:
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10

Thanks for posting that brendan|nadnerb. You just confirmed what I felt in my gut all along about e-bay.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote