Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 14, 2003, 4:55 AM   #1

Default NiMH, NiCd, Lithium Ion batteries

Ok.. my question is:

Do NiMH Batteries have a "memory"? If I remember correctly the NiCd batteries did and Lithium-Ion batteries do not.

I plan on buying some NiMH batteries tomorrow, and just wanted to make sure about it, so that when I charge it for the first time, I make sure I totally drain it the next time before recharging.

Now is it also possible to obtain Lithium-Ion batteries in AA size factor? Though skimming through most of the discussion between NiMH and Lithium-Ion, NiMH are of course less expensive and more popular

Thanx for the info!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:26 AM   #2

all Nimh manufacturers claim memory free design/engineering. i have been extremely satisfied with Maha and so far in testing their pretty much the best.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-4aa200.htm

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm

their chargers are also the top of the heap too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:24 PM   #3

Li-ion is different chemistry and has different terminal voltage to NiMh/NiCad. Look at the voltages of mobile phone batt packs, they aren't divisible by 1.2 or 1.5. I suppose it might be possible to make a Li-ion you could stuff in a 4 AA compartment, but it'd be messy adapting the contacts and you'd waste volume space.

If you want Li-ion for its capacity/volume/low self discharge/low temp advantages, consider a remote power unit as close to 5-6 volt (4AA) as possible. But then u'd need a different type charger. NiMh AA's are very cheap!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:27 PM   #4

Ahh alright, cool thanx for the info NiMH it is!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:07 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
I suppose it might be possible to make a Li-ion you could stuff in a 4 AA compartment...
Most newer cameras that take NiMh AA rechargeable can also take CR-V3 (One CR-V3 has the form factor of two AA NiMH). This new release from Samsung is Li-Ion so there'll be many choices for cameras with NiMh AA batteries as power source... http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 7:13 AM   #6

That's interesting. I'll go and find out some more. I wonder if it still comes out as a 'figure of eight' format like 2 AA'a, and if you have a compartment using 4 AA's in your cam, the terminal pins still come out in the right places.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 8:14 AM   #7
NHL

From the UK too!
http://www.smallbattery.company.org....k/sbc_crv3.htm

Quote:
The CR-V3 has been designed to be the same size as two AA batteries, so if your camera takes four AA batteries, you will need two CR-V3 batteries.
The shorting link is built-in to the battery pack, ie it won't be using the camera short on the compartment door! ... Long live the AA rechargeable!!! Forget all this proprietary and expensive Li-Ion weird format stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Camera makers take note: CF and AAs are the way to go (smart shoppers will make this choice with their pocket book). People only make a mistake once !!!
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:15 PM   #8

I see the CR-V3 is non-rechargeable. I'm afraid I couldn't justify the price for a throw away battery, even if it does have a good self discharge rate!
Old Mar 16, 2003, 6:25 AM   #9
NHL

Vox

CR-V3 is just the size, check the previous posting, the Samsung ones is rechargeable Li-Ion!!! http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

With AA you have the following options:
AA-NiMh
CR-V3 lithium (non-rechargeable, long shelf-life)
CR-V3 Lithium Ion (rechargeable) from Steve's Samsung link 8) 8) 8)

Quote:
SECAUCUS, N.J., March 2, 2003 – Samsung today announced the launch of the world’s first rechargeable Lithium-Ion CR-series battery pack. Called the Digimax Battery I-Pack, it can replace two conventional AA cells or a single CR-V3 battery in today’s digital cameras while providing the high voltage and low temperature performance they demand.

A single Samsung I-Pack doesn't just do the job of two conventional cells -- it delivers better performance too. When used in a digital camera, with the power hungry LCD preview screen turned on, the built-in flash used for 50% of the exposures, and making continuous shots every thirty seconds, two AA alkaline batteries will last only eleven minutes and take approximately twenty-four photographs. Replace those two AA alkaline batteries with the new Samsung I-pack, and the same camera, used under the same conditions will last for 130 minutes and make 280 shots!

Samsung’s Digimax Battery I-Pack recharges in just two hours, and unlike other rechargeable technologies of the not-so-distant past doesn't have a “memory” and can be recharged many times without ill effects or shortening the effective battery life. Even if you stick your camera up on a shelf with fully
charged batteries, it will last more than six months before power begins to fade. The Digimax Battery I-Pack uses Lithium-Ion batteries and has a built-in constant voltage circuit for increased stability and comes with a battery charger that's capable of charging Ni-MH batteries as well. So when the I-Pack's Lithium-Ion battery pack needs to be recharged, you can substitute Ni-MH batteries in a pinch.