Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1

I want to get a spare battery for my new camera. The battery label says it is a Li-ion CGA-S002E, and it is 72V 680mAh.

I did find one source for a S002E 72V 700mah (Cutecameracase.com) at $17.19.

Does that sound good? ($17 sounds good to me....)

Should the 680 vs 700 mAh make any difference?

Jerry
jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

jerblu,

Don't use a 72 volt battery in your camera, it will melt into a big puddle! Your camera requires a 7.2 volt battery, and it's a CGA S002A, not S002E.

For what it's worth, take a look at this link before you buy cheap replacement batteries:

http://www.cipa.jp/english/attention/index.html

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

You are entirely correct. A closer look reveals that the Panasonic battery that came with my camera says 7.2V, not 72V

I looked at the link you posted. That looks like an industry supported organization, and I am sure that there are lots of bad batteries around. But I am hoping that someone will read my message and tell me that they have had good experience with a battery from XXX. And that's what I'll wait for.

I have had experience, after all, in using other products that were not brand name despite the brand's warnings, and had perfectly good results. I'm not sure what I'll do if I get no recommendations along the lines I suggested above. Maybe then I will buy a Panasonic battery and get full price.

BTW, a 2nd look at the batteries I did find states that they are also 7.2V not 72V, and that they are both S002A and S002E.

Jerry
jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Someone once posted that the S2002A is for sale in America and that the S2002E was for Europe. I'm pretty sure that they are both essentially the same battery. That replacement you have mentioned should work. If the mAH rating is a little higher than the original equipment specification, then, theroetically, it should provide a little more operational time before it needs to be recharged. Lots of people have found non-name brand replacements at different vendors. Some have reported that they may not be a perfect fit physically (a little too tight or too loose in the battery compartment, but I haven't heard too many reports of after market batteries damaging the camera. The worst that will probably happen is that it might not last as long as the original. But if it only costs you 20% as much as the original and lasts half as long, it is not that bad a deal.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:20 PM   #5

"The worst that will probably happen is that it might not last as long as the original."

No, propwash, you're wrong...the worst that can happen is the cheapo battery will go ballistic and explode in jerblu's camera and spray molten plastic into his eyes and permanently blind him. The next worst scenario is that the cheapo battery will overheat and set jerblu's camera on fire, which in turn, will set his car on fire, which will set his garage on fire, which will set his house on fire, effectively destroying everything he owns. The next worst scenario is the cheapo battery will leak and ruin jerblu's camera.

Now, maybe you're right, and then again, maybe you're wrong. Just because you haven't heard of it happening doesn't mean it can't happen. Are you willing to guarantee jerblu that a $1.75 ebay battery is just as good as the $79.99 OEM?

You buy a camera that uses expenses proprietary Li-Ion batteries, be prepared to spend some money on replacements.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:13 AM   #6

Jerblu,

If you Google for DPS 9000, you will find an external battery that will serve you very, very well!

I used mine yesterday with my Panasonic FZ30 when its batt died mid day on a photo outing.

Hours later, it still showed a full charge!

The BIG advantage of this batt is that it will work with almost all digcams!!!

No more proprietary batteries!!!

You can find them for about $40 bucks.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:20 PM   #7

:PBeen using replacement XXX batteries for years.

Sure ther's risks for everything , but most of those warnings out there are put out buy the Camera companies that want you to buy there SEVERLY OVERPRICED batteries. How many cell phones and cameras do you know of that have blown up.

Want a garantee and have the extra 40 to 60 bucks to throw away then get the OEM battery, meI got better things to spend money on.
electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:03 AM   #9

Thank you for all the hard work you put into getting all those links.

You seem to be allot Pro OEM.You either had a fake blow up on you or a close friend or you have other motives.

I followed your links andI am still not convinced of a real danger because

1 The sources for some of the stories are major manufacture

2 Verizon which is mentioned in a few of the stories had recalls on there own batteries

3 Another cause is IDIOTS that interchange batteries

4 When you get a cell phone they give you a little plastic cap that goes on thecharging terminals of your phone.Most people never use it. Hence when they put their cell phone in there pocket the terminals short out on keys or what ever and over heat catch fire or blow up original or not.

There are millions of after market batteries out there , that's a scary thought every body's face blowing off from defective batteries.

One of the articles mentions that they will put a chip in OEM batteries that will prevent IDIOTS like me using after market batteries in there devices.We'll all be able to sleep tonight!:-)

God bless
electric is offline   Reply With Quote