Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:08 AM   #1

My camera takeseither nimh or crv3 rechargables, which type would give me the best value and longest duration? cost is not an issue. camera is an olympus sp-350
hatefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

Hello Hatefire,

Comparing the performance of a premium brand (Sanyo) NiMh 2500 mAh AA battery to the CRV3 battery, they look about the same, if you use up your batteries in one day. If it takes 3 months to go through your batteries, the CRV3 battery will last longer.

In cold weather (0F) the CRV3 battery will perform better.

Since cost is not an issue, the CRV3 battery comes out ahead. No fussing with a charger or time spent charging required.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your reply, sometimes though i'm not very articulate, what I was refering too, is which rechargable is best. I noticed on-line that they sell rechargable crv3 batteries and niMh rechargable AA batteries. If both types are rechargable and the initial cost of a charger and set of batteries is comparable, is one type more desirable over the other?

thanks from the new guy

michael
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:41 PM   #4

CRV3's are lithium, so they can hold their charge for months.

NIMH last about one month. You end up charging NIMH's more often, and it's a pain.

My feeling is you will get more shots from a CRV3 than NIMH.

If I were in your position, it would be a no-brainer, CRV3 all the way.

A good inexpensive brand is zukz.

I got my CRV3 and charger for about $17.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:20 PM   #5

Thanks,
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:14 PM   #6

Hello Hatefire,

OK, if both are re-chargeable it gets a bit interesting...

As Terry pointed out, Li-Ion chemistry does not have to deal with self discharge rates. Once again it would depend on how fast you used your batteries up.

At first, I don't think you would notice any difference between them, but the longer they sit, the more the NiMh batteries would self discharge. The first few days may see the NiMh batteries capable of more pictures, but I do not have any hard data on that.

Sanyo has some new NiMh batteries that claim to reduce the self discharge rate a lot. They are reporting 85% capacity left after one year of room temperature storage. The difficulty is that they are 2000 mAh, and you would have to let your normal 2500 mAh batteries sit for a month to be equal capacity.

I have not testedthe CRV3Li-Ion batteries, but otherR-CR123 batteries are not living up to their rated capacity.

Iwould suggest that youuse whatever you would be most comfortable with based on how fast you use up your batteries.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:34 AM   #7

I had a pentax dl which takes both, however it says not to use lithium rechargeables, so that is an issue you would need to address. It is something to do with the power fluctuations of the lithium rechargeables that could damage the circuits making warranty void.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote