Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1

I was discusted to see that my fujitsu laptop battery lasted so poorly..I was ready to chuck it, when I thought,well with all the hype on Li-on batterys,could they all be bad in the pack?They were not. In fact, all were good,and here it is*&*& The circuit board is defective,a simple cheap 1.00 circuit board that the manufacture wants in the battery pack, not in the computer..why? because they don,t get the computer returned for repair,the customer takes all the heat and has to purchase a new pack..That scare about not disassembleing the pack??why?/because they want you to think it contains only batterys.I did a search on google to find storys on bad manufactureing and consumer rip off,s with battery packs??none to be found..My advice,save those batterys and use them in something else.If you can,t use them, give them to someone who can..Why? because that someone else may hand you an external pack some day that velcrows to the bottom of your laptop..Save your money,buy your loved one a great dinner out..
Darvidicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:49 AM   #2

Hello Darvidicus,

When Li-Ion batteries are abused or used outside of their comfort range, they have the possibility of exploding in a fire ball.

The protection circuit in the battery pack is supposed to be designed to protect against that. When the protection circuit board goes bad, it usually means the battery pack has been involved in an upset condition.

You should be thankful that the circuit board shut everything off. You could have had your laptop catch fire and perhaps done a lot of damage to your house as well.

The reason the protection circuit is packaged with the battery pack is because the battery pack can be removed from the computer. If you should happen to carry a spare battery pack in your bag and it happened to short out, the protection circuit is designed to shut things down before a fire or explosion happens.

If you decide to harvest the cells out of a battery pack, you must keep in mind that they are bare cells and have no protection against over charge, over discharge, and over current draw.

Use them at your own risk.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 4:43 AM   #3

While interesting, this has nothing to do with digital cameras........
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:04 AM   #4

Hello Kalypso,

I am not sure... but think that some people consider a computer a digital camera accessory...

OK, it's a bit of a stretch. I will crawl back in my hole now.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote