Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:26 AM   #1
mrb

I'm new to all this, and I have ordered a Canon S2. I'm now looking at NiMH batteries and chargers. Thomas Distributing has a Maha 204F combo including (4) 2500mAH batteries for $30. I have seen some chargers that charge each cell on an independent curcuit, such as the Maha 401FS. Is this feature worth the extra $$?

Steve and some others seem to like Maha. Any other brands recommended? I don't need advanced features, just something that will fully charge the cells without damage. Also something small so that I can travel with it occasionally.

Finally, any recommendations on batteries?

Thank You
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:43 AM   #2
E.T

Non-independent charging propably doesn't damage cells but it definitely don't charge them all full if they have differing capacities. (like it is case always)

Here's some info about batteries:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Sanyos are generally considered as one of the best so at least those are good ones.

But those "budget priced" ambigue brand cells of supermarkets can have real lousy quality so at least try to stay away from those.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:50 PM   #3

I am using the Maha 204 charger and the powerex 2500's...just great for me...I have been buying maha from thomas distributing...the 2500's are great.
prhamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 7:11 PM   #4
mrb

Well, I have run a few sets of alkalines through my new S2 already, and never decided on which NiMH batteries and charger to buy! After some research, I have been leaning toward the Maha 401FS.

I saw this package at Sams Club (link below), which seems pretty cheap considering that the Energizer cells seem to be rated pretty highly, and the 8 AA batteries alone are worth $25. Does anyone know anything about the charger? I could not find any specs on it. I assume that it is a slow charger that does not charge cells individually ...? Sams also has a package of just the batteries for under $20 which also seems cheap if I buy another charger.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...mp;item=205900
Old May 19, 2006, 7:29 PM   #5
mrb

I also see the LaCrosse charger is only $35 at Amazon right now. That charger also seems to be rated well, althoughI sawsome issues noted by SilverFox and others in this forum about firmware and charging temperatures.
Old May 20, 2006, 4:31 PM   #6

Ihave the LaCrosse BC-900 and the Maha C204-W, both excellent chargers in my opinion. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

The BC-900 is a permanent desk item, while the Maha charger goes with me when needed.

As for batteries, I use the Energizer 2500s in my lower end cameras, and the Maha 2500's in my Cannon PowerShot A620.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 7:50 AM   #7
mrb

I am looking for a charger that will provide a healthy charge, not necessarily the fastest. If I always have a spare set of batteries for my camera, I don't think I need a super fast charger (i.e. 15-60 min).

Any comments on the Energizer charger noted in the post above, or the Maha chargers? The Maha 401FS looks pretty good since it has 4 individual charging circuits, has slow and faster charge rates, and has a lifetime warranty. My Canon S2 takes 4 AA's, so I will usually be charging 4 cells at a time. In your opinion, what is the best small charger out there right now? I have read some of the reviews, but since most of them are at least 2-3 years old, I figured I'd see if there are any other opinions here.

On the cells, I have seen some people rate the Energizers quite well, but other not so good, such as THIS THREAD on self-discharge (although Silver Fox recently pointed out that those cells may have been defective). The Energizers at Sams Club seemed to be a good deal (8 - 2500 mAh AA, and 4 - AAA for $20.00). Am I better off buying Sanyo or Maha cells?
Old May 29, 2006, 2:06 PM   #8
mrb

No other comments before I order something??
Old May 29, 2006, 3:29 PM   #9

Maha and Powerex for me. Won't disappoint. I have the Maha 204W with the 2300 Mah batteries. Work great. Keep 4 on charger, and 4 in camera.
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:02 PM   #10
blr

I've used over 20 NiMH chargers over the years and for a quick, compact one my vote goes yo Lenmar Pro66. Charges independantly four high capacity NiMH cells for approximately 75 minutes without overheating. The only compact charger I know of that uses dT/dt or temperature gradient as termination method, together with the usual -dV, which, if you read cell-maufacturers literature is not recommended as a primary termination method for NiMH cells.

It's compact enough and can be powered in a car. The only thing that is missing is a discharge function, but if you run the cells to the end in your cam from time to time it will be OK
blr is offline   Reply With Quote