Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:02 PM   #1
Orr

Bought a set of 4 of these for my Fuji 5600 and after an overnight charge I put these and got the battery alarm after a couple of seconds.

Now, is the rating (1700mAh) too low? Or do these batteries need a longer charge?

Thanks
Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2
E.T

New batteries might need couple charge/disharge cycles before fully waking if they have been stored long.

And in this case these have been stored for long time...
Capacity is such low that those haven't been made for long time.
Or then those batteries might be counterfeits depending on from where you bought them.

And now what charger is that what you use?
Also did you checked voltage of batteries after charging?
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:03 PM   #3
Orr

Batteries were bought new from Tesco here in the UK. So I think their authenticity should be ok.

The charger I am using is a 4 slot Uniross charger set to NiMH.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4

Hello Orr,

It is not unusual for the first charge on brand new batteries to result in a false end of charge termination. This results in batteries that are not fully charged.

If they won't power your camera, put them back in for a second go at it. Keep an eye on the temperature of the batteries. They will warm up at the end of the charge.

The ideal temperature (assuming you are charging at room temperature) is similar to what you feel from the forehead of someone that has a high fever. They can get as hot as the outside of a tea pot when you pour the hot water in, but that is about the upper limit. If the get as hot as a baked potato right out of the oven, they are too hot. Take them off the charger and let them cool down.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:36 PM   #5
Orr

Well, gave these batteries another overnight charge and will see how they go, at least they didn't give out after a couple of seconds this time.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:03 AM   #6

If you say just few seconds and you get an alarm (low bat), maybe one of the cell is dead. After an overnight charge even a new set of battery will be have more charge than couple of seconds. If there is one dead battery, the total voltage will be close to 4.0 volts ( no load) and will immediately stabilize at 3.6v ( 3good cells, 1 dead cell) and you will have an alarm.

If you have a battery tester, test them individually.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:31 PM   #7
Orr

Unfortunately I don't have a battery tester but after a third overnight charge I've been using this set of 4 for a couple days now and they seem to be holding up, taken about 20 or so shots in that time.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:59 PM   #8

Hi E.T.!

Today I acquired a set of 4 AA 2500 mAh Energizer with his ONE hour "Ultra Fast" charger, which charge each battery on an individual basis, check polarity, & shut off automatically.

Also I own a Maha 204F acquired a year & half ago, as also I own some NiCd quads, and my today's Energizer charger "Can't" charge NiCd batteries as write on the instructions...to danger...may explote'damage the charge...etc!

I hear that all such "Ultra-Fast" chargers CUT the life of the batteries...it's so true?

Thanks to all of you for any input!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:49 PM   #9

This is something that I never understood. Some chargers you have to switch between Nimh and Nicad. Other chargers will accept either without a switch over.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:26 PM   #10

Hello Geriatric,

The end of charge termination is different for NiMh and NiCd chemistries. If you charge a NiMh battery and use the NiCd end of charge termination, you will overcharge the NiMh battery.

While it is safe tocharge a NiCd battery with a NiMh charger, it will not be fully charged at the end of the charge, but close.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote