Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1

I bought some rechargeable alkaline (XT Pure Energy). Has anybody ever used them. How did they perform. I don't plan to use them for digital cameras. Just for a portable TV that is voltage sensitive. I also bought the XT smart charger. Documentation says that it charges Alkaline, NiMh and NiCad.
My only understanding about these batteries is the lifespan. They tend to degrade after every charge and have a life of 50-500 cycles. Thanks -garman
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:41 PM   #2

sorry to do this, it's been a few days.

bump!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:12 AM   #3

I used Rayovac Renewal rechargeable alkalines in a PDA a few years ago. They like to be topped off; running them down to almost empty and then recharging is a great way to drastically shorten their life.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:27 PM   #4

Battery technology is one of the last electronic wonders that still is in the dark ages compared to everything else and alkaline are one of the oldest.
Then came NiCad's fallowed by NiMh and now Li-Ion.
As far as rechargeable's go all batteries have a life span your best bet as of now is usingNiMh or soon Li-Ion which so far last the longest on a charge but we still need better some day perhaps.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the response. My only reason I bought the Alkaline rechargables is that I have a device that requires the 1.5V cell. The NiMh seems to die very quickly after 15 minutes. What I have been reading so far is that devices ( portable tv) that require 1.5v cells on a group of 4 will have a harder time keeping the voltage level to a desired requirements. I have tested the rechargeable alkalines with my tv and they seem to last about 1hr 15min. As apposed to 2hrs with standard alkaline batteries and 15min with NiMh @ 2500mA. So no to bad if I keep 2 sets on hand. My only draw back is, how long before I need to replace these batteries?
Also my tv kicks when the cell drops to 1.3v starting from 1.6v. Good thing with the charger is I can charge RAM, NiMh and NiCad batteries. Lastly I have been testing to see how good the cells are after every charge. Sorry for the long post. - garman
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:00 PM   #6

Garman

My personal solution for this would to build an external power pack which I have done for several devices. I have made battery packs for my Nikon 990 (used 5 3000mhcells for 6v)and for my SonyVideo recorders I used 6v Sealed lead acid which one would last for days.

I have some old instructions and a few photos of the one I constructed for my Nikon which you can adapt for your TV's or what ever you need them for I used the AC plug to connect the external packs on my Nikon on my Sony I gutted a battery wired the contact of the original battery to a plug which I then plugged my battery into.

If you would like these photos and some instruction to look at you could make something for your needs let me know.

If you go to my web link down on the bottom I actually have a link to a photo of it already. This was one of my first tests which I later made with 3000mh NiMHonmyfinalset.

Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:27 PM   #7

Yes this sounds promising, but I can't seem to find your web link at the bottom. Thanks -garman

Disregard.... :?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 9:41 PM   #8

Photo link here http://www.jtgraphics.net/all_digital.htmunder title

[align=center]Make Your Own Home Made External Battery Pack
for Point & Shoot Cameras.
(Not intended for DSLR style bodies)
[/align]

Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:55 PM   #9

Alkalines are cheap, but only good for a few recharges. They have to have their own charger,Very slow charge rate.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 9:50 AM   #10

I have some Pure Energy rechargeable alkaline's and find that their not good for many applications but for low drain devices. I use them on my remotes, clocks and my son's wireless PS2 controller and a LED bike flasher. The advantage being the very low self-discharge rate (compared to NiMH) and cheaper costs compared to buying non rechargeable alkalines also there's the initial higher voltage which is noticeable on say some LED flashlights and the ability to maintain a higher voltage by frequent top-up's.

The problem with this type of battery is as mentioned you'll have to top them up often to reap their advertised benefits and they last only about half as long as regular alkalines when new and degrade after every recharge.

For you application I'd go with NiMH's using an external power supply as already suggested.
yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote