Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:12 AM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC-FZ1 battery

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can pickup an extra DMC-FZ1 battery?

Is it available anywhere other that from Panasonic? Does anyone know the part number, cost, etc....?

Thank you

(BTW... I am going to cross-post this in the Panasonic forum, since it is Panasonic related)
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Look at the bottom of this page of my review, there is a picture of the battery and the model number is clearly visible:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/fz1_pg2.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:42 AM   #3

Thank you Steve.

I wrote to Panasonic and found out the battery sells for $77.95!!

Since this is a new (to the US) camera I'm sure that an AM battery will show up on the market and then the AM battery will drive down the price of the battery.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, I hope for you and others that it happens but ... if they don't sell a whole lot of those cameras I doubt anyone will make a 3rd party battery for it. I haven't seen any other camera that uses a battery similar to that one, it is unique is size/shape etc.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Well, I hope for you and others that it happens but ... if they don't sell a whole lot of those cameras I doubt anyone will make a 3rd party battery for it. I haven't seen any other camera that uses a battery similar to that one, it is unique is size/shape etc.

-Steve
Yeah, well, I have plenty of AA's around! Why can't everyone just use a conventional battery. I'm sure Panasonic makes money off of the accessories.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve

-Steve
Steve, I was thinking about your post last night and wanted your (and others) opinion on whether or not you see this camera sticking around or is it going to go the way of the dodo?

When I purchased this camera, I hadn't set out to buy it, I was really interested in an Olympus C-720, but that one does not record video w/sound, so I instead looked at the C-730. I went into a locally owned shop and talked to the manager. I mentioned that I have a HP PS 720 (which I won in a contest) and wanted to upgrade to something else, but that I am more of a newbie. We talked a little about Olympus and I tried out the C-730. Then I noticed the FZ1 in the case and asked him about that.

As soon as I mentioned the FZ1 he got real excited. "Oh, we just got these in yesterday, it has 12x optical, IS and is $70 less than the C-730." The fact that the FZ1 is only 2 MP didn't really bother me because I don't really enlarge my photos. The 12x and IS was very attractive. I was concerned with the "special" battery and told that to the manager. He said, "...more and more cameras are like that today..." The deal clincher was that the C-730 takes xD cards and the FZ1 takes SD, which I already had a 128MB SD so there would be no need to buy additional media.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:39 PM   #7
lg

Looks like the C-2100 might have been a better choice for you than the 730 or the FZ1! Image stabilization, standard AA's, and movies w/sound are standard issue, and the camera has many other desirable features that are missing on the two you were contemplating. Should you change your mind, there are still refurbs available and even some new ones that show up occasionally on eBay. The refurbs can be found for about the same price as the FZ1, if you are patient.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 8:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
Looks like the C-2100 might have been a better choice for you than the 730 or the FZ1! Image stabilization, standard AA's, and movies w/sound are standard issue, and the camera has many other desirable features that are missing on the two you were contemplating.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I already picked up the FZ1. Also, the FZ1 accepts SD cards, which I already have, so I don't have to buy new media. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the FZ1 will accept an SD of any size. In the manual it mentions 512MB.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 9:58 AM   #9

I just purchased the FZ1 yesterday. My only hesitation was the battery. I took it on faith that it would be available soon for about $39.95 (US). I shall purchse an AC adapter for my automobile and keep the battery charged as I drive. If anyone sees the battery available in the USA please post where. Thanks.
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 2:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe
I just purchased the FZ1 yesterday. My only hesitation was the battery. I took it on faith that it would be available soon for about $39.95 (US). I shall purchse an AC adapter for my automobile and keep the battery charged as I drive. If anyone sees the battery available in the USA please post where. Thanks.
You can't charge the battery in the camera, you can only charge the battery with the included charger.