Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 11, 2006, 9:59 AM   #1

I have a set of Energizer 2200 mAH rechargeables that I got with their 15 minute charger. I have been getting excellent life out of them in a Canon A520. The manual that came with the charger says that it should only be used to charge 2200 mAH batteries. If I decide to get some new batteries of a higher capacity, like 2500 for instance, does this mean that I can't use those new cells in this charger, or does it mean that it will take longer than 15 minutes for them to charge? The charger is capable of charging any number of cells, from one to four. This tells me that there is some kind of circuitry inside that individually checks each battery. I'm pretty sure that it will charge cells of higher capacity, but I'm not sure that it will give them a full charge.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2

Hello Propwash,

You may find this post interesting...

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114943

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 1:07 PM   #3
E.T

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
You may find this post interesting...

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114943
What a surprise that fast charging fries cells quite fast...
Longevity of batteries using that should be already clear from current required for that charging speed.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 7:46 PM   #4

Hello E.T,

What was more surprising was that the battery manufacturers state that to get a good end of charge signal you need to charge at a minimum of 0.5C. 0.5C for a 2500 mAh cell is 1250 mA. The comparison battery was charged at 1000 mA (just under the manufacturers recommendations) and only lasted 150 cycles.

I believe the main reason Energizer suggests using 2200 mAh cells is that the higher capacity cells do not last as as many cycles. It would appear that a price you pay for higher capacity could be lower cycle life.

I need to run the test again with 2000 mAh cells to see if they last longer, but it takes so long to run the test that I have to schedule a block of time to do it.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote