Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 15, 2006, 9:40 PM   #1

Heads up! There's a new charger in town: http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/produ...?id=BCG34HRMF4#

Itmakes the legendary MahaMH-C204Wlookancient.Ijust bought it from an Australian retailer, I paid AUD $53 (USD $40).

Key features of Sony BCG34HRMF4:
  • LCD Battery Indicator [/*]
  • Refresher Function [/*]
  • High Capacity 2700 mAh Charger[/*]
  • Ideal for Digital Products [/*]
  • Suitable AA or AAA NiMH Batteries[/*]
  • 3 Safety Features [/*]
  • 4 Charging LED Indicator & 1 Refresh LED [/*]
  • Worldwide Voltage (AC 100V - 240V) [/*]
  • Slim & Lightweight [/*]
  • Supplied with 4pcs of 2700mAh AA rechargeable batteries
[/*]
Regards from Perth, Australia
my88wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 9:18 PM   #2
mrb

Sounds pretty good. Does anyone know if this is available in a US model??
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 2:05 AM   #3
E.T

And looks like LaCrosse makes that look like ancient... if there's one thing Sony knows how to use it's PR BS.

That isn't any "super quick" charger...
max charging current is 1050mA so for empty battery three hours is minimum charging time.
Also while NiMHs lost fast little from top voltage while in use they retain their voltage well after that until they're about empty so technically this kind charge level indication isn't really possible/very inaccurate.
Also Ansmann already had charger claiming this quick battery test feature.

mrb wrote:
Quote:
Sounds pretty good.* Does anyone know if this is available in a US model??
There's no need for that, only for cable with right plug.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:23 AM   #4

E.T wrote:
Quote:
And looks like LaCrosse makes that look like ancient... if there's one thing Sony knows how to use it's PR BS.
This is not to be critical of the LaCrosse BC-900 battery charger but to alert you of a potential safety problem. It is an excellent charger and I was about to order one earlier until I discovered reports of a heat meltdown problem some have had with the BC-900. Here's a synopsis of what has been reported on the CandlePower forum:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=103802

Some BC-900 users have experienced overheating and meltdown when charging batteries. This was believed caused because the charger missed the "end-of-charge" Negative Delta V signal that terminates the charge, thereby overheating the batteries. Some believed that the charger temperature sensor was set too high or was not tightly coupled to give a proper cut off signal to prevent overheating. Earlier suspicion pointed to certain batteries being the problem.

But the people on the CandlePower forum are fanatical about batteries and flashlights so some experienced hardware engineers took the problem to the lab and indeed discovered that the end-of-charge signal could be easily missed because of noisy power supply caused by poor decoupling. Some said that they have solved the problem by using a better power supply. Others said that that is no assurance and that the decoupling needed to be on the BC-900 circuit board and proceeded to solder in decoupling capacitors on the board. They said that makes the unit 100% safe. You can read about it here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...802&page=2

This may be more than you need to know, but I thought I would present it for safety reasons.

Sony's NEW 2700 mAh Super Quick Charger BCG34HRMF4
This charger is great in that it has the nice LCD display which shows how much charge is currently in each battery. The instructions also say that you can charge from 1 to 4 batteries, which means it has a seperate circuit for each battery. Charging normally takes about 3 hours which in my opinion is fast. There are slower chargers, and there are some faster. Faster is not necessarily better for battery charging. The length of the charge also depends on how many mAh the batteries are.

10 years ago NiMH was an advanced technology so the only manufacturers who made them, like Sanyo, made them well. Today all sorts of garbage is out there and on top of that many makers make bogus claims about capacity (mAh). My 2 year old Sanyos, rated at 2100 mAh still give me more service than another brand I was given with "2,500 mAh!!" printed in huge letters. The batteries that come with Sony's Super Quick Charger BCG34HRMF4 are made in Japan for Sony by Sanyo.
my88wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:44 AM   #5
Baz

my88wa: can you define exactly what this charger displays as "how much charge is currently in each battery" ?

Is it specifying mAh ? or voltage or what ?

AKAIK, determining the mAh of a cell requires a discharge and charge cycle.

Does this charger do that? The LaCrosse does.

Baz
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:59 PM   #6

Baz wrote:
Quote:
my88wa: can you define exactly what this charger displays as "how much charge is currently in each battery" ?

Is it specifying mAh ? or voltage or what ?

AKAIK, determining the mAh of a cell requires a discharge and charge cycle.

Does this charger do that? The LaCrosse does.

Baz
The BC-900 has a great analyzer feature, but the maximum charging current is 1A and the charge termination method is not very reliable. Sometimes, the charger will halt down from battery overheating.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:02 AM   #7
Baz

I am well aware itsme, of the overheating problem as reported with some BC-900 chargers. I have used one frequently for about a year with no problems. You comment that the maximum charging current is only 1A. So what? That is for each of 4 cells, and will charge cells up to 3000mAh capacity.

This thread is about the Sony super quick charger. It's charging current is 1050ma for 2 cells, and only 525ma for 4 cells.

However this does not answer my post that you decided to quote. i.e. what does the Sony charger display for how much "charge" is currently in each battery? mAh or what?

Baz

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote