Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 21, 2006, 10:59 PM   #1

I have an S2SI Canon that I power with rechargeable Energizer AA batteries. I am very happy with battery life (especially compared with norechargeable alkalines!). I am getting far more battery life than I ever anticipated; I have shot 200 or more high definition shots over a month or two without exhausting the batteries.

I am thinking of buying a Canon compact (maybe 450 or 600) that comes with a proprietary built in battery. My concern is with battery life. What kind of performance can I expect between charges. Will I have to carry the recharging gear on a one month trip taking snapshot type pictures?

Thanks
Marmot02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 4:21 AM   #2

Bring the recharger with you. You may not need to use it, but what if you do? Maybe you'll take five times as many pics as you originally thought you would. Is there a reason for wanting to leave the charger at home? I have a two week old Canon with a proprietary battery. I have taken hundreds of shots with it and the charge display on the Camera is still showing a full charge. I have only charged the battery once and that was the day I bought it.
I have a lot of confidence in the Canon battery, but to me it's simply "better safe than sorry."

Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. I am glad to hear that you are having good battery life from your Canon. That gives me confidence. My only issue with carrying the charger on vacation is that I will be in Europe and prefer not to have the hassle of taking a converter along as well. But your advice is sound. Thanks.

Old May 23, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4

Have you checked the specs on your charger? Most chargers that come with cameras are dual voltage. Even if your charger isn't dual voltage I think buying a dual voltage charger or converter would probably be a better alternative than an external battery pack.

You just have to buy an inexpensive plug adapter for a dual voltage charger. I usually find it better to buy the adapter at the destination rather than in the US because they are usually sold only in sets in the US. A simple plug adapter usually costs a buck. If your hotel in Britain has the old giant plug that was designed by an incompetent committee the adapter will probably cost a little more. I was always able to get a standard European adapter into one of them by inserting something non-conductive into the ground to unlock it. It is probably better to buy one, but it will probably weigh as much as your charger.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 1:16 PM   #5

Thanks. If I discover that the charger is dual voltage, then I am in free. Taking an adapter plug is not really a big issue, as you indicate. Won't be in UK the though, so can ignore the British committee design.