Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:49 PM   #21

Well, my 2650mAh Duracells are starting to bite the dust after less than 50 cycles and six months or so of use.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:56 AM   #22

Two of these cells started to lose their entire charger overnight and the other two lost about 300mAh in capacity and lose the entire capacity in about two weeks.

These were incredible performers out of the box, but go bad rather fast.

These are Made in Japan and I believe they're relabeled Sanyo 2700s
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:24 PM   #23

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I have the "older" version of the LaCrosse BC-900 & it's always worked like a champ.
Ditto that.

I purchased three BC-900 chargers about a year ago. One melted down, early in it's life. LaCrosse replaced it with a "tested" unit but the replacement unit only had three working slots and LaCrosse would not replace the replacement.

I've since given away the 3 slot BC-900 to someone who is delighted to have that level of functionality, even if only in three slots.

If you keep air blowing over the charges when they are charging, I believe they will not melt down regardless of the firmware or hardware revision they run.
Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:48 PM   #24

itsme000, I see you know this battery well so I think you must be the person to ask about it.

My son and I have two digital cameras. His takes only 2 AA batteries and mine takes 4 AA. We have some duracell 1800 mAh batteries and some 2650 mAh batteries. When we use the 1800 in my son's camera it starts up and shuts down right away. The 2650's work fine for him.

In my camera I can use either equally well, but I'm sure the 2650's last longer.

My question is why do the 1800's not work at all in my son's camera? Is it because he uses only 2 cells and it's not enough power to run the camera?

thanks for your help,
Kemi
Kemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:04 PM   #25

Hello Kemi,

What is happening is your sons camera is getting a low voltage warning and shutting off. The load from the camera is proportionally higher on the 1800 mAh cells, than it is on the 2650 mAh cells.

Your 1800 mAh cells may have developed high internal resistance. This means that when under load, their voltage drops more than newer cells with lower internal resistance. You may find your 1800 mAh cells are at the end of their useful life.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:44 AM   #26

Thank you for the reply SilverFoxCPF

Quote:
You may find your 1800 mAh cells are at the end of their useful life.
The 1800 mAh cells were new out of the box when first charged and used in my sons camera. They never worked for him since the first... although I could use them in my camera just fine.
Kemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:47 PM   #27

Hello Kemi,

Depending on how old they were, and how they were stored, they very well could have had "issues" right out of the box.

When you get "new" cells, the first thing you should do is measure their voltage. If they are under 1.0 volts, you may have some difficulty getting them to work properly. If they are below 0.9 volts, they usually will never work properly. A fresh cell, stored properly, will be at around 1.2 volts, for comparison.

If you have access to an battery analyzer, you can try a few charge/discharge cycles to see if they will recover.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:10 PM   #28

I've since disposed of about a dozen Duracell 2650mAh cells due to irrecoverable internal resistance. These are good at first, then they begin to suck quickly. Well, what good is a high capacity RECHARGEABLE that do not remain high capacity for long?

The Duracell pre-charged and Sanyo eneloop are only ~2000mAh, however they hold their capacity better.

When batteries read 1.3v + with no load, but immediately shows "low battery" in camera, then they've developed high internal resistance and it's time for them to go.

My experience shows that 500-1000 cycles is only in dreams. They're only measuring mAh capacity and not the ability to provide current. The dozen or so 2650mAhs I've discarded all had less than 50 cycles. The test is based on a constant current discharge in a laboratory setting. Letting it sit around, letting it drain to 0.0V, etc, as seen in real life significantly degrades life.

Don't expect anything near 500-1000 cycles of full performance, but if you can get 50 cycles out of a set, then you're getting a reasonably good return on investment compared to alkaline.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:30 AM   #29

my 2650mah duracell rechargables are dying badly now, i got 8 AA cells and biggest problem they have is charge retention only last a couple of days. and these batteries are new only 1 month old.

my 2500 energizers last a few months with only suffering a tiny amount of self discharge. waste of money these duracells are. can only use them in the radio controlled car as soon as i charge the batteries up. leave them for a few days and they loose a fair percentage of thier charge. may look at getitng some sanyo eneloops after i read up some reviews on them.
slybunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:32 PM   #30

I have those batteries for over 9 months.

I had used them only twice during this time in my camera Canon Powershot SX10.

On my 1st try (4 month ago) I only made 6 shots before camera shuts down due to low batteries.

On my 2nd attempt, camera shuts down immediately after I turn it on. I was not able even to make 1 picture with them! And that was 5th day after batteries were fully charged.

After that I made a test, how batteries hold V for 5 days
Code:
charged  1,407v    |1,396v    |1,400v    |1,402v
1 day    1,295v    |1,282v    |1,286v    |1,282v
2 day    1,278v    |1,267v    |1,272v    |1,260v
3 day    1,249v    |1,235v    |1,248v    |1,217v
4 day    1,212v    |1,200v    |1,213v    |1,175v
5 day    1,151v    |1,140v    |1,159v    |1,077v
I was (and still am) rather surprised that batteries drop so fast that they are practicably useless as a replacement for my camera.

I have other already way more used batteries which hold V far, far better.

Mind you, I haven't used those batteries for anything else. I only made 6 shots from it, while with Enelops I have already made around 400 shots (precharged and 1 my charge). With Mignon 2700 around 180 shots and even with normal AA 1.5V which came with camera I made around 110 shots.

What can be done about those Duracells? Can they be repaired in some way or I just throw them in a "trash bin"?

Last edited by xpuntar; Dec 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM.
xpuntar is offline   Reply With Quote