Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:37 AM   #31

coppertrail wrote:
Quote:
If Sanyo makes the Sony cells, I would recommend them.Personally, I'd stick with Sanyo or Powerex 2700 mAh AA Cells. I also recommend the MH-C401FS charger.

The only negative I've heard about the 401 is that the cellsbecome quitehot when using the fast charging mode. But, it seemed to charge the cells to the highest capacity compared to the other chargers. Read this article . . .

I had a set of Sony NiMH cells that came with a Sony Digicam I bought about 2.5 years ago. I actually "Revived" those old Sony cells back in Jan. when I got my MH-C204W (they'd been sitting dormant for about 2 years). The "revival" seemed to be successful, butthey've been in the refrigiratorever since
Thanks for replying. I have considered Sanyo's as well but for now the only way I will be able to get my hands on them is by ordering from the US thourh http://www.thomas-distributing.com. Will see if I can't find them locally first.

As for the Powerex 2700 mAh batteries...I'll try them first as my first set of non-Sony batteries. Will order from a Canadain company based out of Montreal. Shipping is moreless fair at $6.98 CAD per Kg. So whether I order just a 4-pack or the the 401 charger/8-pack it will still only cost me $6.98 CAD.

Funny thing happened to me tonight when I popped in my first memory card and dumped the pics stored in the internal memory onto the card...

From the time I got my Sony DSC-H1 (last Friday) I have been using the supplied 2100 mAh Sony's. Battery life reading would always read FULL after powering on/off my camera maybe 10x. Playing with the settings once, Then taking a series of pics the other times. Mostly without flash. Have taken only 22 shots.

When I finished copying the 22 files from the internal memory to the 2GB Sony Pro Duo card the battery life icon displayed "half-full". I thought "this can't be! I've only shot 22 shots and used it only twice this week". So i turned it off. Watched some Sopranos reruns. Turned the camera back on and the the battery life icon is now reading FULL again. What happened? Did the 2100 mAh batteries temporarly have a dip in the charge? Does this sometimes happen with some brands of NiMH's?

Since I found out I had a full reading again I've powered up my H1 maybe twice. Both times the reading read "full". And the reading stayed stable as usual.

Thoughts?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:13 AM   #32

yawglenn wrote:
Quote:
As you pointed out StuartP it's likely an issue with the 2500's and I'd be curious how they respond to you.

yawglenn
Well I got my reply from Energizer...not what I had hoped. The UK branch said they would refund me the cost since I have bought other batteries in the mean time.

However Energizer in France sent me more (Japanese) Energizer 2500's...exactly what I don't want. They look different to the ones I had, but they are from Japan and notChina.

The most insulting part is the letter that theysent me:

Dear Sir,

We received the Charger you sent us.

Having inspected your charger, we have decided to replace it with a new one.

We are also enclosing three packs of rechargeable batteries to replace the two you have send us and one for the refund of your postal chargers.

We hope these products will work properly.

We are also enclosing few instructions for rechargeable batteries.

As always, ENERGIZER prides itself on its top quality services, products and customer care.

Yours sincerely,

(all spelling mistakes are verbatim)

So according to them:

1) there is a problem with their charger not the batteries, even though I charged them in a MAHA charger as well.

2) they insult me by telling me I don't know how to charge batteries using their faulty charger.

3)they didn't refund my postage costs as stated, only sent me MORE batteries.

4) they also HOPE that these batteries will work properly.

As fas as I am concerned, they can shove the batteries where the sun don't shine. I used to be an Energizer fan but now I will never buy any batteries from them.

StuartP
StuartP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:00 PM   #33

Oh well, looks like they have issues. :lol:

Any how, I picked up a set of Rayovac 2500's today and likely use them in place of my Energizer 2500's in my Canon A95. That means all 4 sets of Energizer 2500's are now put aside due to poor performance on very high self-discharge rates. As I said earlier I use 2 sets of NiMH's in my camera so that I never get caught without power. I also have a set of Energizer Lithium's. I'll likely report on the performance of the Rayovac's in the future.

yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:26 AM   #34

StuartP wrote:
Quote:
yawglenn wrote:
Quote:
As you pointed out StuartP it's likely an issue with the 2500's and I'd be curious how they respond to you.

yawglenn
Well I got my reply from Energizer...not what I had hoped. The UK branch said they would refund me the cost since I have bought other batteries in the mean time.

However Energizer in France sent me more (Japanese) Energizer 2500's...exactly what I don't want. They look different to the ones I had, but they are from Japan and notChina.

The most insulting part is the letter that theysent me:

Dear Sir,

We received the Charger you sent us.

Having inspected your charger, we have decided to replace it with a new one.

We are also enclosing three packs of rechargeable batteries to replace the two you have send us and one for the refund of your postal chargers.

We hope these products will work properly.

We are also enclosing few instructions for rechargeable batteries.

As always, ENERGIZER prides itself on its top quality services, products and customer care.

Yours sincerely,

(all spelling mistakes are verbatim)

So according to them:

1) there is a problem with their charger not the batteries, even though I charged them in a MAHA charger as well.

2) they insult me by telling me I don't know how to charge batteries using their faulty charger.

3)they didn't refund my postage costs as stated, only sent me MORE batteries.

4) they also HOPE that these batteries will work properly.

As fas as I am concerned, they can shove the batteries where the sun don't shine. I used to be an Energizer fan but now I will never buy any batteries from them.

StuartP

Don't bother testing energizers again! Just go for any other ones.Energizer lost all credibility with me.

I contacted energizer after 2 sets of 4xAA 2500mAh batteries just couldn't keep their capacity for long enough.I don't know the technical jargon for them, but compared to my powertech 2300mAh, put into the same canon S2 and charged with the same charger, my powertech ones were able to give me at least250 shots in one charge, the energizer, pitiful, 100 shots before camera said out of batteries.

The lady at technical support tried to bs to me by saying its the problem with the charger that I was using and not the batteries and that I should go run out and buy their fast charger for another $80. I didn't understand what she was on about as she decided to go technical on me, so I let my dad handle the call (who is an electrical engineer). He hung up the phone on her and said she was bs'ing too much and had no clue what she was on about. He took out the voltmeter and showed me that one of the batteries had a short circuit and it was not the actual problem with the charger in question.
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:49 PM   #35

Eventually got it all sorted out.

I got a refund for practically all the initial costs, plus I get to keep the new charger, and 3 sets of 4xAA's. They will probably be placed on eBay to recover the remaining few £££'s.

So if you fight it, you can win...basically I hassled them until they caved in. They promised me a refund and that is what I got in the end...victory for me, and failure for them because I will NEVER buy Energizer again...just like I will never buy an Epson inkjet printer because they drunk my ink...
StuartP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:41 PM   #36

Congrats on your persistence.
yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote