Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:45 PM   #1

Hey all, I just got a new Kodak P850 and I was wondering about the Lithium Ion batteries...

Does it matter if I leave them in the charger for too long or if I use them before they are fully charged? Also, am I supposed to use them until they are fully charged or can I just charge them up to full every night after taking a few shots?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:22 PM   #2

If you are using the OEM charger and battery, you shouldn't have to worry much about overcharging as the charger likely shuts down the charge when a certain voltage is reached and the battery likely has a thermal protection circuit, too.

Lithium batteries have no memory effect and they don't need a priming series of full charges and discharges like nickle-metal-hydride batteries, so it shouldn't matter if you use it before full charge.

Morag2 writes: Also, am I supposed to use them until they are fully charged or can I just charge them up to full every night after taking a few shots?

Lithium batteries last longer if you don't run them completely out before recharging, but, given that they have a useful life of about 300-500 charge cycles, you don't need to recharge them every time you only take a few pictures. They have a very low self-discharge rate, so they can sit around for a while without going dead. But, if you plan to take a lot of pictures, you should make sure to charge it up beforehand so that the camera doesn't shut down before you need it to.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote