Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:58 AM   #1

I read that the best way to break in a lithium ion (and other rechargables)
is to fully charge and recharge the battery 2 to 4 cycles.
same procedure is recommended for awakening a battery after long idle.
I oun an olympus c-770camera, with LI-10B batterries, butthe original charger can only charge.
Can someone advise please
Thanks shmueli

shmueli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:26 AM   #2
rey

I would follow the manufacturer's suggestion instead of rumors. Batteries can catch fire and/or explode, so I wouldn't play with it beyond what's recommended.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:04 AM   #3
Administrator

Well, if you use the camera until you get a low battery indication, you're discharging the battery. ;-)

I'm no expert, but you do have to be careful not to discharge a battery too far from what I've read. I personally wouldn't try doing it (other than normal use in the device it's designed for, so that it stops draining it once the voltage drops to a predetermined level).

We've got a few members that know a lot about batteries (I'm not one of them) that could probably give you pros and cons.

I'll move this thread to our Batteries or Power Packs Forum, where it will likely get better responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:29 PM   #4

Hello Shmueli,

NiMh and NiCd batteries will often increase in capacity and performance over the first few charge/discharge cycles, but not by a large amount. In very demanding applications it makes sense to condition and break in the batteries, but this is usually not necessary for camera use.

Li-Ion batteries are generally ready to go immediately. They do not show an increase in performance with cycle use, unless they are being driven very hard. If you are pushing them hard, it is important to do a slow charge and limit the discharge current to somewhere around 2C the first few times. Cameras do not operate anywhere near these current levels, so there is no advantage to cycling them. With Li-Ion battery use in cameras, there is no break in required.

I should also point out that Li-Ion batteries prefer to be frequently charged up, rather than being fully drained before charging.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:32 PM   #5

Thanks
shmueli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6

Thank-you, Tom!

You answered one of my questions with your post, maybe you can help with another. I have a brand new KM Maxxum D5 with the NP-400 Li-ion battery pack. I would like to buy an extra battery pack, but when I surf the net, I have noticed a big difference in prices. The prices range from $14 to $40 with most of the stores I am familiar with on the high end. Since this is just a extra battery, I figure I would go for the cheaper batteries, but I figure they must be refurb's, thus the price difference.

My question is are the cheaper (possibly refurbed) batteries safe and reliable, have you heard of any horror stories where batteries have damaged cameras? Also, can anyone recommend a good web vendor for replacement battery purchases (or would that info be found on another thread within the site)?

Any help would be appreciated…

PS. GREAT site!!!
ZoCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:13 AM   #7

Hello ZoCam,

In some cases we have found that the cheap battery pack is less expensive because some of the protection circuit and safety devices have been left out. As long as there are no "issues" with the camera or charger, things seem to work fine. However, if there is a malfunction, things could get exciting... Li-Ion batteries have been known to rapidly vent, sometimes accompanied by flame, when they are mistreated. This is also known as an explosion with a fire ball.

I would suggest that you find the best price on the "expensive" packs and go with that.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:15 PM   #8

Thanks, SilverFoxCPf.

I think I will purchase the batttery from a reliable vendor, i.e. CC, BB!
ZoCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:37 AM   #9

I know very little about batteries, but that's not going to keep me from adding my 2 cents. :-)

I bought an inexpensive BP-511 Li-Ion from SterlingTek for my Canon G3. The 3rd-party battery has more mAh than my original Canon battery, and lasts longer. My understanding is that the risk is during charging, so I bought an external charger (also from SterlingTek), so that I NEVER charge the 3rd-party battery in my camera. I've been pleased.

Am I 'skating on thin ice'? :?

--Steve

DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote