Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 5, 2003, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Alternate 10D batteries?

I'm going to post this in the DLSR forum as well.

Has anyone had any experience with any after market batteries instead of the Canon BP-511? Based on this web page:

http://www.batterybarn.com/dbp511.htm

What canon charges is too much for too little! And that price isn't that far out of line with B&H and calumet.

Anyone use any of these alternates? Cheaper and hold more power is something I always want in a replacement battery. Can anyone think of any reason why these would be any worse and not worth getting? (I've heard that some non-OEM batteries don't come with a contact cover, but I could fashion a cover out of cardboard, so that isn't a problem.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:52 AM   #2

Hey Eric

I am pondering the exact same notions. While it is essential to have spare batteries in the bag, I can't justify buying the Canon B511 when there are cheaper aletrnatives. My worry is maybe I've gone too cheap. I ordered a battery for $11.99. Where's the catch? It has more mAh, so should hold a charge longer, but maybe won't last very long altogether.

Please will you let me know if you,ve managed to gather any useful info on this rather technical subject. I'll let you know my findings as well.

Cheers
Ugly Kid Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:15 AM   #3

Since I made my post I'd read a fair amount about non-OEM batteries. The catch seems to be longevity. Some people have good luck and use the battery for years. Others say it stops taking a charge after about 6 months.

I wonder if some of the difference is cheaper materials and some is lower quality control.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:27 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Since I made my post I'd read a fair amount about non-OEM batteries. The catch seems to be longevity.
This is like fllash card... Since when Canon (or any other manufacturers) make their own batteries?

ie They are mostly OEM too... I don't ever recall Canon/Nikon/Oly have a battery factory :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:40 AM   #5

That's pretty much what I have found too. Just as long as the cheapies don't blow up in my camera, I won't really mind too much if the battery gives up the chase after 6 months, that will give me some time to recover from the outlay of body & lenses etc.

I must say that I'm a very satisfied customer with my 300D. Having recently had a Fuji S602 Zoom, I find the 300D to be leaps and bounds ahead in photographic terms. In power consumption terms there's no comparison either. With DSLR, the battery doesn't need to drive electronic viewfinders (which are poorer than optical anyway), nor does it need to drive the electronic zoom motor. Altogether a far more exciting piece of equipment.

The biggest problem I have now is that my wife loves the camera and has decided to attach herself to it, so another enthusiast is born. (I did buy the camera for her to be true!)
Ugly Kid Joe is offline   Reply With Quote