Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:27 AM   #1

I just bought a Canon A620, which operates on both alkaline and NiMH batteies, and comes only with 4 alkalines.

Is there any reason why I should pay over twice as much for Canon brand NiMH batteries, whenI can go to Walmart and buy a set of 4Energizers and charger for $20?

Canon simply says that they recommend (of course) their batteries and will not be responsible for performance or "leaking" of other brands. How likely would there be problemswith other brands, as long as one sticks with the major brands?

PK
allochthonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Is there any reason why I should pay over twice as much for Canon brand NiMH batteries, when I can go to Walmart and buy a set of 4 Energizers and charger for $20?
Yes, if you think that Canon are too poor and need more of your money. That's the only reason I could think of.

Quote:
How likely would there be problems with other brands, as long as one sticks with the major brands?

Not at any more or less likely than with whatever batteries that Canon slaps their logo on.
Seehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:09 PM   #3

I use the Powerex 2500 and 2700 mAh AAs in my Canon PS A620. The battery life is amazing. Many folks claim that the Sanyo batteries are the best out there. They're only $12 per 4-pak, as are the powerex cells.

I purchase my batteries @ Thomas Distributing

I've noticed that the Energizer 2500 cells that I have sufer from very high "Self Discharge". Meaning, they loose a considerable amount of power quickly just sitting. The Powerex cells have a much lower self-discharge rate, and the Sanyos have the lowest.

coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:25 AM   #4
blr

Canon uses Sanyo cells. The only difference betwenn the Canon ones and the originally branded Sanyo cells is the price-the Canon ones are about 40% more
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:15 AM   #5

What about the Sony Ni-MH AA typ. 2500mAh.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:23 AM   #6
blr

Imacer wrote:
Quote:
What about the Sony Ni-MH AA typ. 2500mAh.

Same, i.e. rebranded Sanyo cells. Kodak, Olympus and in some countries Varta also use Sanyo AA cells.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:23 AM   #7

Some recharchables can go through a polarity inversion when the charge is allowed to get too low. This can ruinmany electronic devises. NiMHs won't do this but the cheaper ones...
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:21 PM   #8

Sony also use sanyo batteries and they have the 4 x 2300's and charger at amazon for $19.89. Some places have the charger and 2500's but usually about $25. Reviews seem great, I have been torn between these, powerex and the Rayovac IC3's which get rave reviews with a 15 min charge time.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote