Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:00 PM   #1

I would like to buy some extra batteries for my Canon SD630. It uses NB-4L. I had read somewhere that you can buy higher powered batteries than the Canon 760mah. I was thinking about purchasing the Sterling brand that are 900mah. I asked the guy at my local Ritz camera and he did no think it was a good idea to not use a Canon battery (of course, that is what he sells for $60 ea) Does anyone know if it is ok to use a higher mah. Does anyone know a good choice at a nice price. Thanks for any help.
nboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:21 PM   #2

If the voltage is the same there should not be a problem.

Milliamps is storage capacity and voltage is push. In otherwards, the bucket is bigger and holds more water but the spout is the same size and will take longer to empty. :idea:
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and I love the explanation. I have found that there are many brands of Canon equivelants, some amazingly cheap ($15 for 1000mah) do you think it matters which brand i purchase or are they all the same as long as the voltage is the same?
nboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:47 PM   #4

nboerner writes:

I have found that there are many brands of Canon equivelants, some amazingly cheap ($15 for 1000mah) do you think it matters which brand i purchase or are they all the same as long as the voltage is the same?

You can find "equivalents" of forty dollar batteries for five bucks. Are they made the same way as the originals with the same sort of safety features? Do they really have the capacity they are advertised to have? Some likely do, others don't.

If you want to buy non-OEM batteries (And who doesn't?), at least try to get something from a "named" manufacturer. Check out a site that came online a short time ago: www.duracelldirect.com. I got some equivalents with the duracell name and a 3 year warranty for half the price of the OEM's. I might be naive, but I figure that you chances of getting junk goes down if you get a name brand like Duracell, Energizer or Sanyo.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5

I have bought from SterlingTek. I was/am pleased with the battery (BP-511) and charger. The price was right, and the service good (they originally sent the wrong charger, but quickly corrected their error, andreimbursed me for my cost in returning the incorrect charger!). The SterlingTek battery has higher capacity and lasts longer than the Canon battery.

My understanding is that some 'cheap' Li-Ion batteries caused some cell phones to go up in smoke, literally. My PowerShot G3 has an in-camera charger, but I recharge my 3rd-party battery only in my external charger.

DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:49 PM   #6

Just went to the Duracell site and take it for what it`s worth but Netscape and Norton Internet Security has a Warning about the site:
"It has been established that Duracell....com is a known Phishing site for identity theft."

Don`t know about you but I don`t think I`ll be giving Any credit card info online.
I use nothing But Duracell in almost everything that uses batteries but I think I`ll phone them.
Thanks for the URL `tho.
I will definitely use it to get model numbers etc.

sting
sting_ray53 is offline   Reply With Quote