Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Hi my wife has been using her Canon Rebel TI for a few years now in all kinds of conditions without a hitch. Recently, the camera has been displaying the dead battery icon (and refusing to work), whenever she pops up the Flash to prepare it for use. It works fine without the flash.

Anyone know what the problem is? Can I fix it for her or does it have to go to the shop?

Oh, yes, the obvious. They ARE new batteries. We even threw a brand new set away the first time it happened because we thought we got them mixed up with old batteries, but we didn't. Anyway we are certiasn there are fresh batteries in the camera and that the batteries are good.

Thanks in advance.
texxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:36 AM   #2
Administrator

The flash is going to draw a lot more current.

It might be a component problem, but it's sounds like a battery problem to me.

What kind of batteries are you using? With a film camera your Rebel, it's usually not as critical to use better batteries. But, forget using Alkalines in many digitals (they just don't provide enough power to work).

You may want to try a decent set of high capacity NiMH batteries (fully charged, of course) to see how they work in it. You can find some info on batteries and chargers here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

I'd also clean the battery contacts in the camera. They may have a bit of oxidation on them. I use a qtip with a touch of alcohol to clean contacts. But, make sure you don't leave any residue that could cause more oxidation. You can also buy a contact cleaning pen at Radio Shack designed specifically for this purpose that won't leave any moisture like over the counter alcohol can.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:06 PM   #3

thanks for the input, but she uses disposable CR2 batteries and always has. We are using a few different battery brands as we have always done in the past. The last two we tried since this problem were the expensive Duracell Ultra and the Lithium Energergizers.

In short we are 99% sure this is not a problem with the batteries, as they are brand new and we've always used them before with no problems.

I checked the contacts they look beautiful still. Good idea though...
texxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Administrator

It sounds like it might be a good time to switch to Digital. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:55 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my Canon Rebel Ti -- and after corresponding with Canon, it does appear to be a problem in the camera's electronics. I was given a choice of an expensive out-of-warranty repair or living with the intermittent malfunction. Thanks, Canon...
DoctorQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote