Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:44 PM   #1

I just purchased a newer digicam and want to replace my existing 1300mAh NiMH batteries.

Can I just purchase newer 2200/2400mAh NiMH batteries (same company as batteries I already own) and use the existing charger?

I don't mind the longer charge time as I typically have two sets and will have one on charge during vacation, high use times, etc.

scbdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

Generally yes, but a newer intelligent charger such as ones made my Maha or Lacrosse would be nice to get the most out of the new Nimh batteries, but not essential .

However if your charger was of a vintage that came with lowly 1300 batteries then it will likely be pitifully slow on ones nearly twice as powerful, do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a new fastercharger.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:10 PM   #3

I looked at the Quest (have those now) and they are quite a bit more than I would have expected.

Can you recommend a charger/batteries in that price range with a charger that would work well for traveling?

scbdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:33 AM   #4

scbdpm wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a newer digicam and want to replace my existing 1300mAh NiMH batteries.

Can I just purchase newer 2200/2400mAh NiMH batteries (same company as batteries I already own) and use the existing charger?

I don't mind the longer charge time as I typically have two sets and will have one on charge during vacation, high use times, etc.

I wouldn't. It would probably time out on you. I have a Duracell 30 minute charger and that's basically the best charger I got, but it was designed around 2,050 mAh cells and it will not fully charge my 2700mAh batteries in one session. Smart chargers are usually designed around a range of capacity and if it doesn't detect full charge within the defined time limit, it will stop charging.

I get around that by letting it run two charging cycles but so called 30 minute charger takes about an hour.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote