Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:18 PM   #1

Hello all,

I recently bought a Canon Powershot S3 IS, and a set of shiny AA 2600Nimh Targus rechargeable batteries and charger to go with it.

However, when I tried to fit the Targus AA's into the camera they didn't fit! The only way to get them in there would have been to hammer them in (which of course I didn't do). I had some spare 2300nimh batteries laying around, and I tried them. They were "snug". I could get them in, but difficult to get out (i.e. they didn't just drop out when the camera was turned over).

So my question to all you Canon S3 owners is: What kind of batteries do you use? Is it possible to fit a 2600 or 2700 battery in this camera?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Maestrokneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:50 AM   #2

Maestrokneer wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I recently bought a Canon Powershot S3 IS, and a set of shiny AA 2600Nimh Targus rechargeable batteries and charger to go with it.

However, when I tried to fit the Targus AA's into the camera they didn't fit! The only way to get them in there would have been to hammer them in (which of course I didn't do). I had some spare 2300nimh batteries laying around, and I tried them. They were "snug". I could get them in, but difficult to get out (i.e. they didn't just drop out when the camera was turned over).

So my question to all you Canon S3 owners is: What kind of batteries do you use? Is it possible to fit a 2600 or 2700 battery in this camera?

Thanks in advance for the help!

hmmm... I'm gonna be ticked if the Duracell 2650mAh batteries don't fit!
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:09 PM   #3

I use Powerex 2700 mAh, and they are snug. Rotating the battery while inserting seems to help. An older set of MAHA 1550 mAh fit fine.
qwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:19 PM   #4

"I use Powerex 2700 mAh, and they are snug. Rotating the battery while inserting seems to help. An older set of MAHA 1550 mAh fit fine."

Glad to here you got the 2700's to work. But if you have to rotate them to get them in, how do you get them out? Do they slide out? Or do you have to use a pair of pliers?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:23 AM   #5

Maestrokneer wrote:
Quote:
"I use Powerex 2700 mAh, and they are snug. Rotating the battery while inserting seems to help. An older set of MAHA 1550 mAh fit fine."

Glad to here you got the 2700's to work. But if you have to rotate them to get them in, how do you get them out? Do they slide out? Or do you have to use a pair of pliers?

Thanks!
Ok, I got the S3 IS and I use Duracell 2650 and they're very very very close. two of comes right out on its own.. the other two, while not super tight, you have to slide it out with a finger in the battery compartment of the ones that come out easy.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:17 PM   #6

Maestrokneer wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Get them out? :-) It's the two close to the front of the camera that are snug. There is enough battery exposed that I can grab it with my fingernails.

qwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:45 PM   #7

Hmm....ok. Without fingernails (chronic biter)& big fingers getting either of those batteries (Powermax or Duracell) might be be tough for me.

Is anyone using a battery that slides in and out with relative ease? What's the highest Nimh battery that isn't snug?

Thanks again for all the help. Let's keep the responses coming!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:20 AM   #8

Maestrokneer wrote:
Quote:
Hmm....ok. Without fingernails (chronic biter)& big fingers getting either of those batteries (Powermax or Duracell) might be be tough for me.

Is anyone using a battery that slides in and out with relative ease? What's the highest Nimh battery that isn't snug?

Thanks again for all the help. Let's keep the responses coming!
Energizer 2500mAh goes in smoothly for me.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:00 PM   #9

Cool...thanks for all the input guys. I just ordered the Powerex 2500Nimh batteries and charger from Newegg. So we'll see how they fit when they get here.

I'll let you all know once I find out. In the meantime, if other people have different batteries that they use, go ahead and continue posting them here so this can be a resource for future Canon S3 users.

Thanks again,
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:47 AM   #10

I don't have the Canon S3 IS, I have the S2 IS, and it is basically the same camera with 5MP sensor, not 6MP. I imaginge they would not have changed the dimensions of the battery compartment :-)

I have no problem with Energizer 2500's or Powerex 2500's or 2700's. All will fall out with gravity.

Some brands of AA batteries are increasing the capacity of their batteries by making them slightly larger than the specifications, and that's why they don't fit in some cameras. For instance, the Sanyo 2700 AA's have been measured at 14.3mm-14.4mm in diameter which is only 0.1mm-0.2mm bigger than most, but it means the difference between snug and comfortable!

Read more here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ge=9&pp=30

servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote