Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:16 AM   #1

I have a strange problem. I bought the Pentax DL camera a month ago. My 1st set of 4 AA alkaline batteries ran out fast in my camera. I tried to replace them with another pair of duracell AA alkaline batteries. No go..the power wont turn on..I am sure I am putting the batteries in right way. I tried with 4 other new AA alkaline batteries, but no go again. Then I went and bought 2 CRV3 batteries and put them in. The camera powered up. Now I dont know what to do? I mean will my camera will take only CRV3 batteries( very expensive and rare). Why it doesn't power up with 4 AA alkaline ones. Though it worked for the first time( new out of box), when i tested with the AA alkaline battteries that came with the camera. Any solutions???
desipentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:07 PM   #2

Hello Desipentax,

Go to a store and purchase 4 brand name alkaline cells, and try those.

It could be that the cells you had on hand were in less than "prime" condition.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:46 PM   #3

Have you considered picking up a charger and some rechargeable Ni-MH AAs? Rechargeables are initially more expensive and then there is the cost of the charger--4 AAs plus charger will cost between $25 and $30 but will last through hundreds of charge cycles. I've shot 400-500 photos per charge, far more then possible with Alkiline cells.  Of course if I'm going to be shooting a lot and not where I can recharge, I pack a couple of sets of  Alkalines  just -in-case. 
Lynn Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:20 PM   #4

Whenever I put in a new set of AA batteries it takes a few minutes for the camera to load up with the new batteries.¬* Try turning it off and on a few times, then just wait a minute and turn it on again.¬* Don't use alkaline batteries... they run out way too fast. Use NiMH cells instead.¬* Pentax recomends against the use of CRV3 batteries by the way.
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:28 PM   #5

I think you are mistaken. My istDS manual says"Use two CR-V3 or four AA Ni-MH batteries, AA lithium batteries, or AA alkaline batteries."

My DS came with two CR-V3s. I don't think the DL is any different.

The K100D manual is the same, except it says not to use the recharageable CR-V3s, just use the non-recharageable CR-V3s.(as well as the AA's listed above)

Also, the manual says alkaline AAs should be used only in emergencies as some functions may be limited. They just don't supply enough power, like the Ni-MH, or lithium batts do.

jdmccol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:24 PM   #6

Actually the manual on the DS also say do not use rechargable CR-V3 battery. I forgot the reason why but it has to do with the voltage on the battery fluxing or something.

I would not was my money on buying AA alkaline battery for the camera. You will not get a lot of shots for it. Like someone else said, spend the extra money on getting a set or two of rechargable Ni-MH battery because at the end it will save you a lot of money and headack. AA alkaline batteries are just not worth it unless if you have no other options.

jdmccol wrote:
Quote:
I think you are mistaken. My istDS manual says"Use two CR-V3 or four AA Ni-MH batteries, AA lithium batteries, or AA alkaline batteries."

My DS came with two CR-V3s. I don't think the DL is any different.

The K100D manual is the same, except it says not to use the recharageable CR-V3s, just use the non-recharageable CR-V3s.(as well as the AA's listed above)

Also, the manual says alkaline AAs should be used only in emergencies as some functions may be limited. They just don't supply enough power, like the Ni-MH, or lithium batts do.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote