Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 25, 2003, 3:15 AM   #1

Default Which charger to buy? Maha MH-C401FS???

Hi

i have always used the charger that came with my dimage 7i. i want to buy a new charger and wanted some advice as to which are the best. i have been looking at this charger (maha MH-C401FS). It looks like it will cost me about UKP50 as things are a little more expensive in the UK.

> Has anyone used it?
> does it charge 2000mah batteries in 100 mins?
> Is Maha better than Uniross?
> Is there a better charger?
> Am i right in thinking this charger does not have a trickly option after charge?
> Any advice from people in the UK would help as thats were i am

looking though the post i thought it would be nice if there was one post that nubies like my self could read to really explain which chargers to look at. im hoping this might turn into it

Any other advice would really help. i want to buy in the next week, but i want to get the right thing, so i really want to learn all i can as fast a possible. So any post would really help .

Many Thanks
T

p.s. my budget is about 50 UK pounds
Acuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2003, 5:11 AM   #2

I use this charger - there is another thread in this partuicular forum where I posted a link to an online retailer who sell it for 45 excl P&P.

I haven't exactly timed charge time but the 100 min mark sounds about right. When the batteries are fully charged it DOES switch to trickle charge. There is an LED for EACH battery and each one is monitored seperately.

Hope that helps

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 11:17 AM   #3

I've heard nothing but good things about that charger (I don't own it myself.)

I've never heard anyone mention Uniross.

The Maha C401FS does have a trickle charger. It swithes over after the batteries are charged. This comes fromSteve's review of this charger at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...ha_c401fs.html

As for "better" it depends on what you are looking for. I believe that is the model with 4 independent monitoring circuits. That matters to me, but maybe not to you. I believe (others can correct me) if you don't have an independent monitor for each battery then you should only be putting in batteries which are at equivalent levels of discharge.

The other factor people seem to care about is speed. Usually it's a tradeoff of speed vs. temperature. The faster chargers heat the batteries more. Temperature is the bane of rechargeable batteries. If it gets too hot, you will shorten the life of the battery. What "too hot" is is debateable. Most say "if it's too hot to hold, it's too hot." The popular fast charger (about 60 minutes for 1800-2000 mAh?) around here is the Rayovac. They seem to get the batteries much hotter than that Maha, but not "too hot". I've only heard a few people mention that it might actually shorten the life of the battery... most here say they've used it for a long time and have seen no problems.

Another thing to consider is that many chargers come with 4 batteries (the Maha does.) So you should factor that into the cost. If one charger is a lot lower in price, it might be because it doesn't come batteries.

Check out:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 11:47 AM   #4

Hi

I picked up a Ray-O-Vac 1Hr charger in Walmart in Florida last Xmas for about 20, it charges 2000mAH Panasonics etc. in 1Hr no problem, been using it for about 5 months now and it's excellent. I found 1 reseller in the UK at http://www.timecell.co.uk/index.html...tml&lang=en-us they do it for 27.95 or 19.95 if you order a set of batteries with it.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 4:51 PM   #5

I believe it is very important to have individual charging circuits - when I charged my second batch of batteries three of them charged at similar times but the fourth took a good 10-15 minutes longer. I just wonder what effect this would have if there wasn't a seperate charging circuit for each cell

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 5:55 AM   #6

The Rayovac is an excellent charger. I've had mine for about two years. It operates on 12VDC so you can use it in your car with the car cord which is now included. It has four seperate charging circuits so you charge any number of batteries (up to four). It will top off a set of batteries in well under an hour. It handles AA, AAA or 9-volt batteries. It also does NiCAD if you want. I would highly recommend it if it is available in the UK. Here's a link with more information: http://www.rayovac.com/products/recharge/chargers.shtml
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:49 PM   #7

Default 401fs in the uk

acuum you can get the 401 from this uk site, they are very good..

http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
marko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:47 PM   #8

I have had the Rayovac 1 hour charger, the newest NEXcell (nice one but not individual charging), the Quest Q2 Rapid charger (nice size, individual), and I also have the newest Maha 401FS.
I would not hesitate to say that in my opinion this Maha charger and their newest 2200 mah batteries are the BEST combination I have used thus far (beside the DPS-9000).
Just getting ready to order some more of the Maha Powerex 2200's. I will probably buy some more of these new Maha 401FS's and give them out to newbies in the digital camera world.

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:24 PM   #9

I have the Maha CF-401-FS and love it. It does a wonderful job of feeding the 1800 and 2000 Nimh batteries to my A70 Canon and a battery hungry optical mouse. It has a 100 minute fast setting or a 8 hour slow setting. I use the fast setting and the batteries are barely warm when finished charging. You can leave a set in for topping off with no worries about harming them. Just remember to keep the lid open when charging to allow the heat to escape. Getting ready to try a couple sets of 2200 PowerEx batteries. Word of CAUTION: Do not use Nimh's in a flashlight as they can be dis-charged beyond the point of bringing them back. Learned the hard way on a Mag-Lite pocket flashlight. Left it on and splashed a pair of GP 1800's. Live and learn. Good Day!
bgw8574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 1:28 PM   #10

I use the MAHA MH-C204F with 2000mAh batteries with my Canon A70. I like the older charger because it has a conditioner built in. Can't go wrong with either charger. You may want to check out this website.

Good Luck

http://www.mahapowerex.com/mh-c204f-4aa220dc.htm
Markswheels is offline   Reply With Quote