Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:53 PM   #1

Went to the local shop today (in the UK) and came across these batteries from Uniross (a French company I think). Priced at £8.99.

Anyway, their claim "The Instant Battery, YOU CAN RECHARGE". I have included photos of the front and back for anybody who is interested.

They are rated at 2100mAh.

I have done a discharge test right out the pack. The results are not fantastic, but quite strange. During discharge, the voltage fluctuated quite dramatically in both directions, quite erratically. I unfortunately did not measure the temperature of the cells during discharge to see if they were also fluctuating which would explain the erratic voltage curve. The discharge current was a constant current source of 1000mA discharged to 4.000 volts for 4 cells.

I contacted Uniross in the UK to make sure that they will work in my MAHA-C401FS. The sales guy (like you can believe them) said that it will work with any modern NiMH charger, even fast chargers, although "it works best with theirs".

I have waited a LONG time for the Eneloops to arrive in the UK...just couldn't wait any longer and thought I'd give these a try.

Will post more results after more charge/discharge cycles.

Out the pack results (unknown manufacture date and hence storage duration):

Initial Open CircuitVoltage = 5.172V (1.293v per cell)

mAh rating = 1442.776mAh

W/h rating = 6.115W/h

StuartP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:15 PM   #2

First charge/discharge cycle looks quite normal. The discharge curve is the familiar HiMH curve. Readings are:

mAh Rating = 1806.87mAh

W/h Rating = 8.19W/h

Same test as before, discharge at constant current 1000mA down to 1V per cell.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:57 AM   #3

Hello Stuart,

It looks like during the first run the chemistry was trying to wake up.

These cells seem to be making similar claims to the Eneloop cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4

Tom,

The first run was right out the pack without any charging (other than what they had done prior to shipping).

When I have had them on slow trickle charge overnight I will discharge them again and see what results I get and post them. Then I will do a 1 month self-discharge test and post results as well.

They are definitely claiming similar specs to the Eneloop. Sanyo must be a bit weary about flooding the market with Eneloop batteries because it is taking so long for them to appear. Either that or they can't meet production quotas.

Stuart
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:14 PM   #5

Hello Stuart,

The Hybrio cells seem to be very similar to the Titanium Enduro cells. I wonder who makes them...

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...mp;ProdID=1131

The Enduro cells have a slightly higher self discharge rate compared to the Eneloop cells, but it is still quite good. It will be interesting to see how the Hybrio cells do.

Eneloop came first, the Enduro came out a few months after the Eneloops, and now we have the Hybrio cells... who's next.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:28 PM   #6

Hi Tom,

Uniross are quite popular here in the UK. As far as I know, they manufacture them themselves since they claim to have had their first anniversary of production in China.

Of course these days there are usually only a couple of manufacturers and many people branding them as their own.

As I mentioned earlier, if the Eneloop cells were available here, I would have more than likely bought them, but Sanyo are taking their time in distributing them and will lose out if they don't hurry up. Even though Sanyo was first on the market globally, if people here see Hybrio in the shops first then see Eneloop later, the impression will be that Uniross Hybrio were on the market first.

Just about to start the first discharge cycle after a slow overnight charge.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:36 AM   #7

Hi,

Uniross is an french company, which do not produce own rechargeable cells. Its only their name, the cells come frome other companies. Currently it looks like their are 2 manufactureres for these kind of cells. One is Sanyo with eneloop other one delivers to uniross, titanium, varta, ansmann. I´ve 3 different models, in my opinion eneloops are superior to the others. But this could be subjective, is anyone here who can test them and compare eneloop and hybrio. Plz do this also under different temps. with 60°C and with -10°C over 2 months. In my Pentax Camera after 1 week the hybrio shows empty, eneloop after 6weeks still full. Would be interesting for me if somebody could do some test to verify this impression.

Thanks
RoberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:35 PM   #8

RoberM,

I am in the process of testing the capacity of the Hybrio's after 30 days of self discharge (6more days to go).

I unfortunately don't have any Eneloop batteries to test, but you can be assured that once I do get a set I will be testing them under the samedischarge conditions.

If the Hybrio batteries are indeed flat they will be going back for a refund. However I don't think they will because when I purchased them they were 1450mAh from the pack, although I don't know how long they were in storage for.

Stuart
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:06 AM   #9

After 30 days the Uniross Hybrio batteries lost 15% of their charge due to self-discharge, I am sure that they lose a significant portion of thisduring the first few days and then stabilise. Discharge curve is attached.

Results are:

After 0 days 1877.00mAh, 8.56W/h @ discharge rate of 1000mA to 1V per cell

After 30 days 1610.44mAh, 7.08W/h @ discharge rate of 1000mA to 1V per cell

Not too bad. Better than the new Energizer set I got which lost 50% of it's charge in 30 days.

Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:07 AM   #10